T

Create your own social network with a free forum.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Taoism Singapore Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

<% BANNER %>
Dear All, this Forum is No Longer in Function.

For those who are interested in knowing more about Taoism, please proceed to http://www.facebook.com/groups/deityoftaoism/

Million Thanks

Chinese Funeral Rituals, "Giao Koh"
daryllim
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 01:56 PM

New Members

Group: Members
Member No.: 193

Hi to all,

Am a newbie to this forum and need to seek the advise of all. biggrin.gif

My mother in law passed away recently and we are thinking of performing some rituals for her on her 100 days anniversary. sad.gif

Understand that there is a ritual call "Giao Koh" in Hockien. Can anyone share with me what this ritual is all about and how it will go toawards helping my mother in law. dry.gif

Thanks.
hianengtan
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 11:47 PM

New Members

Member No.: 150

Welcome our daoyou!

Many people believe that when a person passed away will eventually 'landed' in another world (阴府). By performing a 'giao kor' (填库) ritual, the family members hope that the deceased will have a better life over its end. Also hoping that gods can protect the deceased not to fall into the world of hell and subsequently to renew the life of the deceased for early reincarnation.

The 'giao kor' ritual inclusive of chanting & burning of a paper house. More importantly the paper money (库银)to be hand over by the hall of treasury (库官)to the deceased. The situation is similar like open a savings account with a bank for remittances purposes.

Hope that the above explanation will benefit you and our blessing that your late mother-in-law will reborn in a new future.
daryllim
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 11:55 AM

New Members

Hi hianeng tan,

Thanks for your informative reply. smile.gif

I now understand the purpose of this ritual.

Regards,
daryllim
Posted: May 2 2007, 04:29 PM

New Members

Hi All,

Thanks for the information provided earlier.

Am please to inform that we will be conducting the "Giao Kaw" Ritual for my late mother in law on her 100 days death anniversary come this Friday. laugh.gif

Additional information to add on this ritual:

(1) Ritual is conducted over two days. On the first day, the priest would have to invite the soul to stay in the Paper House first and provide offerings. Thereafter, the joss sticks and candles have to remain lighted throughout the night. Usually, only the sons will be involved in day 1 to invite the soul. sad.gif huh.gif

(2) The second day is the actual day of ritual and a lot of offerings had to be prepared. The paper house supplier will also be required to provide other paper statues such as "Kaw Guan" and etc. pray.gif

As the list of things to be prepared to offer to the deceased is quite long, it may be quite difficult to assemble everything required by ourselves. Good thing is there are actually people out there providing one stop service. Do check with the priest if you need one. biggrin.gif

At the end of the ritual, all paper offerings and paper house will be burnt to the deceased. All this will be led by the priest.

Am glad that we were able to secured the services of Grand Master Tan Kok Hian to perform this ritual for us.

Cheers! biggrin.gif
javewu
Posted: May 2 2007, 04:42 PM

Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (daryllim @ May 2 2007, 05:29 PM)
Hi All,

Thanks for the information provided earlier.

Am please to inform that we will be conducting the "Giao Kaw" Ritual for my late mother in law on her 100 days death anniversary come this Friday.  laugh.gif

Additional information to add on this ritual:

(1) Ritual is conducted over two days. On the first day, the priest would have to invite the soul to stay in the Paper House first and provide offerings. Thereafter, the joss sticks and candles have to remain lighted throughout the night. Usually, only the sons will be involved in day 1 to invite the soul. sad.gif  huh.gif

(2) The second day is the actual day of ritual and a lot of offerings had to be prepared. The paper house supplier will also be required to provide other paper statues such as "Kaw Guan" and etc.   pray.gif

As the list of things to be prepared to offer to the deceased is quite long, it may be quite difficult to assemble everything required by ourselves. Good thing is there are actually people out there providing one stop service. Do check with the priest if you need one.  biggrin.gif

At the end of the ritual, all paper offerings and paper house will be burnt to the deceased. All this will be led by the priest.

Am glad that we were able to secured the services of Grand Master Tan Kok Hian to perform this ritual for us.

Cheers! biggrin.gif

Dear Bro,

So your mum in law's Tablet is placed in San Qing Gong.

Cos I learnt from my Master, High Priest Master Tan Kok Hian, that he will be having a ritual there on this Friday.

Hmmm, your family really know how to engage people hor tongue.gif

fusheng2.gif
daryllim
Posted: May 7 2007, 12:24 PM

New Members

Hi Javewu,

Thanks. If not for the help of you, we wouldn't be able to organize the ritual for my late mother-in-law.

On your Master Tan Kok Hian, he probably see me grow up. In my very young days, I stayed in Townshend Road and his office was just next door. However, at that time, I did not realize that I may need him one day. Luckily, I did not offend him.

When I was in my young twenties, I was quite heavily involved in grassroot organizations and then again, as we were both in Jalan Besar GRC, we get to meet each other again.

At that time, I was also helping out in my friend's temple and he was again invited to lead the committee. As such, we became closer. However, as the temple grows and my work and family committments grew as well, I became less associated with them.

Anyway, the lesson learnt here is be nice to people always. Respect them cos' yu never know that in one of these days, we may need their help. I am grateful that I did.

Regards

javewu
Posted: May 7 2007, 12:28 PM

Founder

QUOTE (daryllim @ May 7 2007, 01:24 PM)
Hi Javewu,

Thanks. If not for the help of you, we wouldn't be able to organize the ritual for my late mother-in-law.

On your Master Tan Kok Hian, he probably see me grow up. In my very young days, I stayed in Townshend Road and his office was just next door. However, at that time, I did not realize that I may need him one day. Luckily, I did not offend him.

When I was in my young twenties, I was quite heavily involved in grassroot organizations and then again, as we were both in Jalan Besar GRC, we get to meet each other again.

At that time, I was also helping out in my friend's temple and he was again invited to lead the committee. As such, we became closer. However, as the temple grows and my work and family committments grew as well, I became less associated with them.

Anyway, the lesson learnt here is be nice to people always. Respect them cos' yu never know that in one of these days, we may need their help. I am grateful that I did.

Regards

Dear Bro,

I see I see, so you actually know for my Master for quite someime tongue.gif good.gif

All these are Yuan, if we got Yuan, anywhere we go, we will fated to meet.

em30.gif

daryllim
Posted: May 7 2007, 01:40 PM

New Members

By the way, were you there last Friday?

My friend is Tan Eng Hua and he was one of the priest there on Friday. If you happen to be there, I might have met you already.

Anyway, after this Giaw Koh, are there any thing else that we can arrange to perform my mother-in-law.

My Mother-In-Law has a special place in my heart. This is probably because of the fact that my wife is closest to her and we happen to live under one roof. She is a very understanding lady that really cares for her children, inclusive of me.

Thank you in advance for your advise.

javewu
Posted: May 7 2007, 06:41 PM

Founder

QUOTE (daryllim @ May 7 2007, 02:40 PM)
By the way, were you there last Friday?

My friend is Tan Eng Hua and he was one of the priest there on Friday. If you happen to be there, I might have met you already.

Anyway, after this Giaw Koh, are there any thing else that we can arrange to perform my mother-in-law.

My Mother-In-Law has a special place in my heart. This is probably because of the fact that my wife is closest to her and we happen to live under one roof. She is a very understanding lady that really cares for her children, inclusive of me.

Thank you in advance for your advise.

No I'm not there, cos I waited for my Master at other place for some meetings.

Tan Eng Hua is one of my Seniors, his brother, Eng Heng I also know him, cos I used to visit the Temple that belongs to him and you, rite? tongue.gif

Definitely there's a few rituals that you and your wife's family can engaged for your late mother-in-law.

With your filial and sincerity, I'm sure she will be able to return to the Holy Place very soon after she cleared all here burdens.

Maybe you can engaged my Master, ask him about the chanting for the pass-on, I'm sure he will be more than happy to share with you.

fusheng2.gif
daryllim
Posted: May 8 2007, 05:03 PM

New Members

Hi Jave,

OK, so I have not seen you in person.

Yep, so you are familar with Ah Hua and Ah Heng. I have yet to vist their new temple premises but will find time to do so soon.

Like you say, if there is yuan, we will soon meet up with each other.

Thanks again for the wonderful website set up.

Cheers
javewu
Posted: May 8 2007, 05:29 PM

Founder

QUOTE (daryllim @ May 8 2007, 06:03 PM)
Hi Jave,

OK, so I have not seen you in person.

Yep, so you are familar with Ah Hua and Ah Heng. I have yet to vist their new temple premises but will find time to do so soon.

Like you say, if there is yuan, we will soon meet up with each other.

Thanks again for the wonderful website set up.

Cheers

Dear Bro,

Yup, I'm so-called quite familiar with the bros tongue.gif

Maybe oneday, we will meet up at their temple wink.gif

Without all the contributions from you all, this website wont be that successful, all credits and merits shall go to you all.

pray.gif

fusheng2.gif
« Next Oldest | Chinese Funerals | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Quick Reply

Other Links:

First Friendly Linkage to SingaporeSights

Forum Indications:

- New Posting (With No Sub-Directory) - No New Posting (With No Sub-Directory)
- New Posting (With Sub-Directory) - No New Posting (With Sub-Directory)

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0742 seconds · Archive

"Taoism Singapore Forum (TSF)" started officially in Year 2005. The Main Objective for TSF is to promote the Culture of Taoism (Locally and Internationally) to all Taoism Lovers/Taoists, Followers and Devotees. TSF doesn't belong to any Local nor Overseas Religious Organisation(s) and not a Profit-making group.