T

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Taoism Singapore Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

<% BANNER %>
Dear All, this Forum is No Longer in Function.

For those who are interested in knowing more about Taoism, please proceed to http://www.facebook.com/groups/deityoftaoism/

Million Thanks

Taoism in Hawaii, "Reported by Mary Kaye Ritz"
javewu
Posted: Jun 6 2006, 11:57 PM

Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Taoism helps retain culture

By Mary Kaye Ritz
Advertiser Religion & Ethics Writer

user posted image

Upstairs in the Taoist temple in Kalihi, incense burned and priests chanted while Chinese-Americans arrived to celebrate the summer solstice festival of Tuan Wu.

Downstairs, two boys, 15 and 18, were passing the time until they would be put to work. They sat admiring the hundreds of golden "dragon boats" and "gold bricks" made from folded ornate paper, trading quips in pidgin.

What connects the two worlds, the upstairs and the downstairs of this temple, is a respect for a culture that some in Hawai'i's Taoist community fear may be lost forever: the traditions and customs of China.

The two teenagers, both of them lion dancers, acutely feel the responsibility to learn the ways of their ancestors and preserve them for their progeny.

user posted image

"Chinese culture is gonna slowly die," said Russell Young, who just graduated from McKinley High School, "but someday I'm gonna explain (to my children) as much as I can."

"Lion dance is changing. ... Nobody's gung-ho to learn anymore," added Cody Hua, who attends Farrington High School. "They're not committed."

But the Rev. Duane Pang is.

"I'm trying to pass it on to the young people," Pang said yesterday. "Not just the religion. We we need (to perpetuate) the culture, like lion dancing, Chinese language schools and kung fu classes."

Over the summer, Taoist master Pang led a free workshop with St. Francis Hospice on "Chinese Religious Death and Dying Traditions and Customs in Hawai'i" at Borthwick Mortuary. Nearly 200 people heard Pang discuss the integration of Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism in Chinese culture and explain local Taoist practices that differ from those in China.

Chinese-Americans accept death and prepare for it from the age of 61, Pang explained, and family plays a prominent role in rituals.

Felicia Marquez-Wong, the bereavement coordinator at the hospice, said the workshop was a good first step at understanding the diversity of cultures in Hawai'i. And the participants were mostly people in the community rather than professionals in the hospice field. "I was amazed there were so many non-Chinese there," she said.

Pang's workshop went over so well that "a lot of people wanted more ... they asked him to tell us where we can find his books," Marquez-Wong said.

Pang laughed when asked if he'd write a book on the subject. "When you commit it to paper, across the river, they might be doing it so different from you," he said. "You might have arguments."

For example, with the Hungry Ghost Festival on Aug. 29 and 30 (the Chinese equivalent to the Japanese O-Bon), he uses a whole duck as an offering, as you're supposed to do.

"In the olden days, you couldn't get a duck with a head," so they'd substitute chickens, he said. Now he finds that his authentic use of a duck is questioned by other Taoists who never saw a duck being used before.

He paused.

"That's why I won't ever write a book."

With certain Chinese religious traditions being assimilated into American culture, it's interesting to note that Taoism itself seems to be doing just fine in its heartland, especially.

"Taoism fares pretty well in China," explained Poul Andersen, professor of religion at the University of Hawai'iiManoa, "and is recovering after political changes."

As for Taoism in the United States, it's in a relatively "in-authentic, New Age form."

"(It's) constructed not by Chinese-Americans, but most definitely by white Americans, and with little relation to what Taoism is in China for the Chinese," he wrote in an e-mail. "The elements of Taoism that are preserved by Chinese-Americans seem to be gradually fading away."

As he sees it, Taoism "is totally integrated in Chinese culture. ... It becomes something else when you apply it within another culture, such as that of the present-day United States."

He compared it to Hinduism, which follows an Indian way of life. But he also said observers may find Taoist rituals performed at temples in Hawai'i that are "pretty authentic."

And the authenticity will continue, as long as Pang can perpetuate it, though, he notes, his form is more the "pre-World War II" Taoism.

Marquez-Wong was fascinated to learn that Pang feels very comfortable doing funerals combining other faiths, though some faiths aren't as open about having a Taoist priest involved in their rites.

"The history was that (after World War II) a lot of Chinese families sent children to private schools, mostly Christian schools; a lot of them ended up becoming Christians and going away from traditions," she said. "Then, as the older people are dying, they request traditional things; and now (the next generations) want to find out more.

"It's a neat turnaround."

user posted image
« Next Oldest | Taoism in the West | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options Quick Reply

Other Links:

First Friendly Linkage to SingaporeSights

Forum Indications:

- New Posting (With No Sub-Directory) - No New Posting (With No Sub-Directory)
- New Posting (With Sub-Directory) - No New Posting (With Sub-Directory)

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0212 seconds · Archive

"Taoism Singapore Forum (TSF)" started officially in Year 2005. The Main Objective for TSF is to promote the Culture of Taoism (Locally and Internationally) to all Taoism Lovers/Taoists, Followers and Devotees. TSF doesn't belong to any Local nor Overseas Religious Organisation(s) and not a Profit-making group.