This skin was created by Cortez of the IF Skin Zone

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to .Org Wrestling Discussion. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

GLAAD & WWE
N8 STORM
Posted: Mar 19 2011, 08:24 AM

C is for Cookie!

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 33

GLAAD issued the following press release on their website:

World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and GLAAD are looking forward to working together to spread an anti-bullying message to the masses, and WWE has invited us to conduct seminars for their writing staff.

Our outreach to WWE was prompted by outrage from many LGBT viewers, about a series of homophobic taunts by wrestler John Cena on the USA program WWE Raw in late February. We reached out to WWE, which responded swiftly and positively.

GLAAD was first made aware of the incidents by several of its members following the February 21 broadcast of WWE Raw, which featured wrestler John Cena responding to taunts made by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson with a rap song making fun of Johnson's film roles. The next incident occurred on the show a week later (Feb. 28), when Cena was challenging another wrestler known as "The Miz" while in the ring with him, and he insinuated that the Miz and his wrestling partner might secretly be a couple.

WWE is PG-rated and reaches a young audience. Young people are of course the demographic most likely to experience homophobic bullying or to be bullies themselves, and therefore a key demographic for getting this message across. Equally important are the families of these young people, who may be watching these shows with them.

GLAAD contacted WWE executives after receiving our first reports. We have been assured that not only will such incidents not happen again, but WWE intends to reach out to their audience, making it clear that bullying someone with homophobic taunts or for their perceived sexual orientation is wrong. WWE released the following apology statement to that effect:
"WWE takes this issue very seriously, and has already spoken with our talent about these incidents. We are taking steps and working with GLAAD to ensure that our fans know that WWE is against bullying or discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. We strongly value our fans in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community, and apologize to them for these incidents."
We are very much looking forward to developing our relationship with WWE, and we thank them both for hearing our message loud and clear, and for planning to send an anti-bullying message of their own.
Hunter He-Man Helmsley
Posted: Mar 22 2011, 01:58 PM

Legend

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

It's kind of funny to me that there is such a big uproar over this, but there wasn't much of an uproar when C.M. Punk 'bullied' the new Nexus into initiation rights, or all the fat jokes by King, Cena, and everyone else directed to Vickie Guerrero.

--------------------
user posted image
signature made by Kaneisdaman
N8 STORM
Posted: Mar 26 2011, 09:05 PM

C is for Cookie!

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 33

pwtorch:
On Saturday, WWE announcer Michael Cole tweeted a one-word homophobic slur directed at fellow announcer Josh Mathews before removing the post.

After removing the post, Cole wrote on Twitter, "I apologize to any and all who were offended by my tweet toward young Josh Mathews. It was obviously not meant the way it was taken.

"I was not ordered to apologize I said I am sorry because I am. Now can I get back to being a character again please?"

TMZ.com drew attention to Cole's Twitter post and WWE's recent partnership with GLAAD to address homophobic-related content on their TV show. WWE issued a statement to TMZ on Cole's post:

"WWE has alerted GLAAD to the situation and spoken to Michael Cole about his post. He has removed it and apologized for using hateful language. Michael will be included in the training session being done by GLAAD. WWE takes this very seriously and is against discrimination of any kind based on sexual orientation, gender, race, religion, or other."

« Next Oldest | Heated Discussion | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options Quick Reply

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0985 seconds | Archive