This skin was created by Kazuki of the IF Skin Zone

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to The Veteran Lounge, your favorite shit hole.
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which means you are either a regular member and have not logged in yet, or you stumbled upon this forsaken place on accident, since nobody genuinely searches for a place like this. If you join our community, you will be able to talk with opinionated, aggravated, insufferable members. Registration is simple, fast, and potentially regrettable.
Join, you indecisive douche!

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Skyrim
Lintire
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 05:41 PM

Zealot

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 1,075

Let's discuss Skyrim. Little things I've picked up:

- Being a thief/assassin gets old and boring, real quick
- Using 2-handed weapons, also really damn boring
- Shield/sword combo with heavy armour, pretty damn nice. Have yet to tire of it at all.

If you play it at any less then Master Difficulty you're a massive bleeding vagina. That's true for any Bestheda game though.

Go go go
Confederacy
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 07:47 PM

Prophet

Group: Content Managers
Member No.: 849

The game is a dumbed down piece of shit without any semblance of what a cRPG should be. Go fuck off and die Bethesda.
llbg2
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 08:20 PM

General

Member No.: 408

QUOTE (Lintire @ Apr 19 2012, 06:41 PM)
Let's discuss Skyrim. Little things I've picked up:

- Being a thief/assassin gets old and boring, real quick
- Using 2-handed weapons, also really damn boring
- Shield/sword combo with heavy armour, pretty damn nice. Have yet to tire of it at all.

If you play it at any less then Master Difficulty you're a massive bleeding vagina. That's true for any Bestheda game though.

Go go go

I'm a battlemage, meaning I've specialized in heavy armor and destruction and so far, it's not too bad. My only qualm is that sometimes I can just hold flames in one hand and healing in another and just pwn everything because my mana regen is so high. Or, using Conjuration, I can summon two Dremora Lords and then an ethereal sword or now and just let my Dremora Lords tank everything as I chill out. The game has lost its vigor to me, I need it on PC do I can mod it and bring some life back.
Confederacy
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 10:33 PM

Prophet

QUOTE (llbg2 @ Apr 19 2012, 09:20 PM)
I need it on PC do I can mod it and bring some life back.

Unless you download sex mods or something, it won't bring any life back to that already soulless game.
Lintire
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 10:57 PM

Zealot

I've always made a habit of avoiding playing as mages in RPGs because they're always one of two things: underpowered and frustrating, or overpowered and boring. There isn't yet a game where they've been successfully integrated into the game and I wish that game devs would at least try to experiment with it instead of giving them the power of the world.

The only instance I have ever seen of mages being a unique and useful addition to gameplay was in Maelstrom, the tabletop RPG. They affected the chance of outcomes, as compared to flinging fireballs.

It was brilliant.

The game is a dumbed down piece of shit without any semblance of what a cRPG should be. Go fuck off and die Bethesda.

Disagree completely. Yeah, it offers an easy path for fucktards, but you can either take the ski lift or climb the mountain with one arm behind your back and the game has as much tactical depth as you want it to. Even as a class (sword and shield juggernaut) reknowned for its simplicity, I've been using all kinds of tactics to take down opponents and it's been a really rewarding experience.

It's up to use whether you just want to tank the game or use enchantment, alchemy, and followers to take down two elder dragons in quick succession while being assaulted on all sides by draugr deathlords.

Never leave home with any less then five different swords on my person, kids.

Although I would have loved to have seen even more options - such as the ability to command followers on the fly and set traps, it's only a dumbed down piece of shit if you treat it like one.

EDIT: "utilize" instead of use. good fucking god.

This post has been edited by Lintire on Apr 19 2012, 10:58 PM
Confederacy
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 07:16 AM

Prophet

I'm not going to get into an argument about this, as I'm just getting out of one where a pretentious "acts like they know it all" douchebag tried to convince me that this generation of gaming sucks.

However, once upon a time, not too long ago, The Elder Scrolls games were once known as having an incredibly large selection of weapons, armors, skills, items; it was known for having large complexed multi-level dungeons; it was known for having stats and tactical depth as combat then was based on dice rolling as opposed to standard hit and swing; it was known for having stories that did justice to the games lore, and so on and so forth.

Now what does the Elder Scrolls series have now? Stories that don't do justice the games wonderful lore, single leveled dungeons that hold your hand and lack multiple paths, boring hack and slash combat, removal of 3/4th's the spells that populated the game (and the ability to make your own), removal of stats (save for the basic 3), 250 dungeons that are spread out 10 minutes apart from each other so even the most retarded of people wouldn't get bored, hand holding quest markers, naw I'm done.

Had people actually realize after Oblivion came out and didn't buy Bethesda's shitty products, the current Bethesda (and BioWare) would've been six feet under and the world would be a better place.
Lintire
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 08:06 AM

Zealot

I don't look for fights, Confed. Let's discuss this, no hurt feelings, no pretense of caring, cool?

I mean fuck, it's a company and it doesn't need people "defending" it and it isn't going to care able people "trolling" it. Wish people would stop thinking that what they say matters half a damn. Lets just discuss.

Bioware is in a whole other world of stupid compared to Bethesda. Namely that Bioware is owned by EA.

Now I've only played through Bethesda's Oblivion and this, but having played quite a few tabletop RPGs where I relish the complexity I'd say that my opinion counts for something.

Up front, completely agree about the sheer number of dungeons - saying that they're ten minutes from each other is being a little optimistic, no? I'd much rather have a fraction of the dungeons but with more literal depth to them - and fuck it, since we're going for filler material why not add in a random dungeon generator while we're at it (why isn't there a dungeon editor in Skyrim?). It was badly disguised padding.

But the "complexity" came off as that, too. In Skyrim and Oblivion the game punishes you for experimenting with playstyles. But the time you hit level 40 (about where I am), attempting to use any combat mechanics other the ones you've been using thus far is suicide, doing a fraction of the damage with no added benefits can get you killed real easy. It essentially shot itself in the foot - there were all these options, sure, but you could only realistically use a fraction of them.

Also agree that the game has turned a blind eye to its roots - tabletop games. Namely the sheer amount of options you had in any particular situation being boiled down to "attack", "talk" and "neither, move on".

Haven't played Morrowind. I'm assuming it's less like that there?

user posted image

Disagree with the "boring hack and slash" thing. Like I've said, I've purposefully been challenging myself - say, taking on a dragon priest without armour, just little personal achievements like that, and I've found a degree of complexity to the combat that only reveals itself when really under duress. Sure, the boring hack and slash with a plethora of potions option is THERE, but you don't have to take it.

It's been a whole lot of fun. Games are as hard as you want them to be.

I don't give half a damn about it's Tolkien lore. The slight spin on it is a refreshing one, but it doesn't change the fact that the majority of it is set in the same basic fantasy setting everyone has been using since 1950.

So when the actual interesting aspects that Bethesda has cooked up - the pantheon of Divines, the Daedric Planes, the utter devastation of the Falmer at the hands of the Dwemer - get nothing more then passing references and the odd somewhat detached quest it's a bit of a bummer.

See, I'm only comparing this game to Oblivion, and where I'm sitting its a hell of an improvement of that. Especially the character interaction, but the combat in Oblivion really WAS mind-numbing hack and slash. Maybe Daggerfall and Morrowind are different.
Limbob
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 07:37 PM

Lieutenant

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,221

I quite liked it, however its the first elder scrolls game I've played (because of reasons, fuck off). Plus Im more or less using it as a distraction until games I want come out (darksiders 2), So the apparently missing epic rpg feel, went unnoticed apart from the echoes.

Playing as a 2-handed, heavy amour orc, with some skill in archery. After a while the random adventuring stopped being fun and game is turning into the hack and slash athon that it is.
Lintire
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 05:38 PM

Zealot

Yeah just keep away from the 2-handed skill. It takes the fun out of Skyrim like a hobo takes the heroin out of a rusty needle. When it's a struggle to even hit your damn opponent...

I would also really recommend looking up the skills on the Wiki - especially since I realized that out of the 40-ish points I've invested into one-handed, heavy armour and block I could have saved about 40 of them.
llbg2
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 02:32 PM

General

Member No.: 408

Started playing again, this time going for an almost pure archery build except for when things get to close then I use dual daggers and, I have to say, it's quite entertaining. Requires quite a bit of work to stay hidden while sniping and things get a little dicey if the enemies get too close. Keeps you on your toes.
Confederacy
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 02:52 PM

Prophet

I reinstalled it to see if I just couldn't see any of the fun the first time around. After finding out it was boring the second time, I uinstalled the game. Hey, third times the charm they say.
Lintire
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 05:21 PM

Zealot

You're allowed to not like Skyrim, Confed. Just sayin'.

Go play Legend of Grimrock instead, that looks pretty damn rad.
BlueMaxima
Posted: May 1 2012, 05:48 AM

Corporal

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,229

That's what he should be doing. Leave Skyrim to the buggers who like it Confed. Go back to your 4chan
Confederacy
Posted: May 1 2012, 05:34 PM

Prophet

QUOTE (Lintire @ Apr 30 2012, 06:21 PM)
You're allowed to not like Skyrim, Confed. Just sayin'.

I know, I just can't understand why people like it.

Go play Legend of Grimrock instead, that looks pretty damn rad.

Different type of genre. Legend of Grimrock is an RPG; Skyrim isn't.

QUOTE (BlueMaxima)
Go back to your 4chan

You think I still go to 4chan, that's cute.
Trollocide
Posted: May 1 2012, 05:52 PM

Evil Dicktator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Confederacy @ May 1 2012, 05:34 PM)
Different type of genre. Legend of Grimrock is an RPG; Skyrim isn't.

Dayum son. Smackdown get.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0947 seconds | Archive