Skin Designed by Zeus00 of the IF Skin Zone.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to The Red Sox Nation. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (11) « First ... 9 10 [11]  ( Go to first unread post )

Founder's Day Drinking Party
Micky
Posted: Jul 27 2010, 06:01 PM

UTract's Owner

Group: Foreign Affairs Minister
Member No.: 135

Oh fuck. I completely forgot about books! Ungh and my boss in on vacation where am I gunna get that money...

It may be offered at other schools that aren't completely devoted to the culinary arts, but not here at my school for sure. I would really have to do some searching, and I want to transfer schools anyway because I've outgrown this place. It was like my third or fourth choice, and I only went here because at the time it was close enough to home for my dad to finally let me go. He wanted to keep me home for a year, I was the first to leave the house so it was hard. It started out as a joke, to drop out of school and be a cook, because I do love Psychology, but the more I thought about it the more appealing it sounded. And I've been watching the food network a lot, I just love to cook. I dunno, I'll look around.

I thought the XX Morn pictures were hilarious, and I still don't understand why you would try to hid your nerdiness. A man proud of his nerd makes for a more attractive man.

I did have more fun going out and drinking when I was in Europe than here, because the legal age is higher people act like they are so rebellious just because they're having a beer. It was a much nicer atmosphere in Germany going out to bars and drinking, so I'll give you that, if it were more like that here I'd probably be out getting belligerent more often. Plus, beer over there is much better.

--------------------
Keep Adjectives Sexy, James Darling.

Germans don't have fun, they make fun.

Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.
-George Carlin
utract
Posted: Jul 28 2010, 11:53 AM

34B!!!

Group: Member
Member No.: 3

Where did you go on your travells? I've never been drinking in the states, so I can't really comment - but there is a marked difference between southern and northern europe in drinking habits... and arguably between the uk and the continent, though I think our media just tell us that...

--------------------
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
-----C. S. Lewis

Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy.
-----Samuel Johnson

Anyone may do anything; so long as it does not detrimentally affect others who have not consented to be detrimentally affected by it.
Micky
Posted: Aug 4 2010, 08:28 PM

UTract's Owner

We flew direct from Houston to Heidelberg and went all over Germany for a week, then we passed through Switzerland and Austria on our way to Italy for another week. I have to say, I had a wonderful time, especially in Rome and really everywhere in Germany, but it certainly took some getting used to. I know I was raised in Texas, and we are heavy on southern hospitality, but a lot of people we just very cold. I was expecting different, but not really cold. My father and brother are rather intimidating and very...loud, and people were a little more cheery when I was on my own or with my sister, but...dunno suppose it's just one of those things. It wasn't even really like going to New York, because that I'm used to, people just held themselves in a different way. Until night and we were all rubbing elbows in the bar haha.

--------------------

Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.
-George Carlin
utract
Posted: Aug 5 2010, 04:47 PM

34B!!!

Germans are very reserved, even by English standards... And loud American tourists tend to get a cool reception everywhere in western Europe. You should have gone East. Apparently they love Americans there...

But you are right, alcohol is a great social leveller, especially with pub culture and its continental equivalents...

--------------------
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
-----C. S. Lewis

Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy.
-----Samuel Johnson

Anyone may do anything; so long as it does not detrimentally affect others who have not consented to be detrimentally affected by it.
Micky
Posted: Aug 10 2010, 07:03 PM

UTract's Owner

It really was a toss up for where we were- in this one small town in the mountains they were very surprised because Americans are pretty much unheard of there, it's more of a German vacation spot, but they were all very nice and helpful. In the bigger cities we had a few more problems, which seemed backward to me. My only really serious quip was that every one assumed that one tiny little glass bottle of water was enough for three hours. I love water, I drink a lot of water especially when I'm eating, and I was thirsty from the second we landed until the day we flew back home.

We didn't experience really any hate though, just different mannerisms. It was funny, we were at this one bar and the bartender was joking around with his friend and this girl about our American accents and talking about how the English language was weak because it had no hard consonants and etc. So I started laughing, and he looked at me like I was a mind reader- I said something along the lines of assuming someone can't speak your language is dangerous. Of course, I'm not fluent so they had to help me in the rest of conversation but they all seemed to get a kick out of it and they lightened up after that.

--------------------

-George Carlin
utract
Posted: Aug 20 2010, 08:52 PM

34B!!!

Oh, they love it when people bother to speak their language... Mainly because most native english speaking tourists don't bother... Plus they're right, languages with lots of hard consonants are way cooler.

--------------------
-----C. S. Lewis

-----Samuel Johnson

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (11) « First ... 9 10 [11] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1381 seconds | Archive