forestbackgroundcopy

Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Lost Glade -A Woodelf Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Lost Glade News
Leading Kindreds

1st: Alter
70pts
2nd: Spellsinger
50pts
3rd: Eternal
30pts

Kindred Scoreboard
ANNOUNCEMENTS
Please Read the News Section

Welcome Back to The Lost Glade!

Well the new year has started and with it a rejuvenation of the kindred cup. All kindreds have been reset so if your not in one tell an admin what you want. The competitions will be happening each month starting with the Vaul's Anvil Challenge which will continue all year in order to motivate players to paint their miniatures so be sure to pop on into Vauls anvil for that!

A few other changes will be made very soon so if anybody is having any problems with anything tell an admin and we will get it sorted.

And lastly, don't forget to click the Warvault affiliate banner to the right over there! Vote for us and make us the #1 Wood Elf forum.
Useful Links
Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!
Affiliates
Link To Us

My topic of stuff
Billfred
Posted: Nov 11 2009, 11:44 PM
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Citizen of the Glade
Group Icon

Group: Ancient
Member No.: 371

I've never had one of these threads before. In here I shall complain and moan about Games Workshop (start small eh?) But I shall also be applauding Games Workshop when they do something good - IF they do something good!

It starts tomorrow when I can be bothered.
Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
Billfred
Posted: Nov 12 2009, 12:22 PM

Citizen of the Glade
Group Icon

So let's start off with the discontinuation of Inks.
Brown Ink was my saviour when it came to quick shading.
Purple Ink it has the best coverage of any inks and leaves a metallic sheen.
Green Ink I have a ton of Orks to paint!
Red Ink I have a ton of Tau to paint and I painted the first lot with red ink, now I can't get any I'm going to have a very un-uniform army, and y'know what the Tau are like when it comes to uniformity!

But it's not all doom.
It's a bit of "and gloom" as well.

And now their replacements: Citadel Washes.
Not very good for the quick shading method, but when used right can leave a pleasing effect. I use them to soften down the paint job.
An example is a metal helmet, I painted it silver, now Brown Ink would have left it blotchy, but a quick go-over of Badab Black and Devlan Mud left it less shiny and with just enough colour to give an effect of well, discolouration laugh.gif.
I used the Thraka Green to go over the finished skin of the Orks, it softened down the Goblin Green highlights just enough and didn't affect the Dark Green Ink shading.

More tomorrow.
Oh and I'll get some pics up too.
Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
Billfred
Posted: Nov 13 2009, 05:28 PM

Citizen of the Glade
Group Icon

So Lord of the Rings.
Anyone else mega bored of seeing the same old miniatures popping up?
There should be a limit on how much a model(s) is featured.
And to be honest, not much happened after the War of the Ring.

What GW need to do, is go back in time.
I want to see the vast armies of Elves at the gates of Melkor's fortress.
I want to play the Battle of Unnumbered Tears etc.
Reading about it is bloody brilliant don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the First and Second Age of Middle Earth and I think GW should lead the way. Simply because they can. They capitalised on LOTR when the films came out, they made a fortune from it - and so did Tolkien's Estate I bet!

I want to see Heroes like Hurin, Turin, Huor and Tuor, I want to see the Sons of Feanor and armies of Balrogs.

Busy tomorrow, so Sunday will be your next entry plus pictures of Citadel Washes vs. Citadel Inks.
Hillbilly Carl
Posted: Nov 13 2009, 07:30 PM

Spear of Orion
Group Icon

Member No.: 32

I do miss the inks in some applications but in my opinion the washes are way better in almost every way.

First of all, they aren't glossy like the inks were. I've got several old minis that I used inks on that just look goofy beside my new ones because they are so shiney.

Second, inks had no subtlety. It was either light or dark, there was no in-between. With the washes you can put one layer on for a very subtle shadow or several layers to make a dark one. It takes a bit longer but the smoother transitions more than make up for the extra time.

Lastly, most of the really good painters don't use GW paints. Instead they use paints from other companies which offer higher quality and a larger number of colors. Yet every painter out there uses the new washes (and space wolf grey for some reason) especially devlan mud. I know I've almost used up a whole pot of it since I got it a few months ago, it is the best!

I don't know why they couldn't keep the inks along with the new washes but if I had to choose between the two I'd take the washes.

You should try using Devlan Mud to shade your orks!

I have nothing to add to your Lord of the Rings rant, I think it was a money-grabbing scheme for everyone involved, I'm suprised GW is still supporting the game!
Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
Billfred
Posted: Nov 13 2009, 10:52 PM

Citizen of the Glade
Group Icon

Yay! Input.

I totally agree with you, sort of.

Inks do make the model shiny, but My small Chaos force look well ace in Metallic/Purple armour. And Red Ink was a lot duller than Brown Ink, plus it was a lot redder than Blood Red.
The Washes give some brilliant effects and overall I prefer the Washes, but there are just certain thinks that I now cannot do because of the lack of Inks.

Albeit, the LOTR section has dwindled and almost dried up, they're now just posting scenarios, no major battle reports etc. In fact, according to my WD collection the last major LOTR mention was back in June and that was for the Galadhrim Elves...

Oooh. I'm online today, I shouldn't have been. Oh well.

Unless there's more input, a new topic on Sunday or Monday.
WinterGuardian
Posted: Nov 30 2009, 07:55 PM

Citizen of the Glade
Group Icon

Group: Eternal
Member No.: 176

im suprised they're still even making LOTR stuff, the movies were over years ago who is still even playing it.
Billfred
Posted: Dec 1 2009, 12:21 AM

Citizen of the Glade
Group Icon

Heh, very true.

Hmm, I should add more to this.
I'm spreading my wings.

Illiteracy on the internet is one of my pet hates.
Especially on Facebook groups and more so when it's about something serious.
An example would be the one group "Bulling must stop now"
I'm sorry, did I just read "Bulling"?
You deserve to be bullied if you can't even spell it right or know what context you're using.
Bulling is used to give a highly polished effect on leather boots or shoes, and as far as I know was banned in the early 90s in the British Armed Forces.
"Oh it might just be the one spelling mistake in the group title" I hear in a low grumble
I kid you not, after reading this group's wall right back to its formation, I would say at least 99% of the members (who have posted) have used the word "bulling".
"Maybe it was just to fit in, maybe it was a typo?" I hear you scream.
If it was, Group titles can be edited, posts deleted and re-written.
"Why didn't you point it out then"
I did.

Illiteracy on the internet = FAIL!
Especially when EVERY browser now has either a built-in dictionary or an add-on dictionary.

We might go broader next time with a non-internet rant.
Flailing-Axes
Posted: Dec 1 2009, 08:28 AM

Citizen of the Glade
Group Icon

Group: Waywatcher
Member No.: 615

I haven't painted anything for years laugh.gif I don't own any washes. Just bottles and bottles of unholy inks.

I'll take the highest bid wink.gif
Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
Billfred
Posted: Dec 1 2009, 12:33 PM

Citizen of the Glade
Group Icon

£1

via paypal tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Billfred on Dec 1 2009, 12:33 PM
Billfred
Posted: Dec 4 2009, 01:10 AM

Citizen of the Glade
Group Icon

...This reminds me of "You Know What Really Grinds My Gears" by Peter Griffin.

Kids these days... don't know music if it kicked the crap out them whilst playing. And drinking! Jesus, Jagermeister is to be drank over ice, it's not a shot, not at £12 a bottle anyway!
Drinking cheap cider and beer thinking they can "handle their drink". Give them a bottle of Rouge and they'll be out after the second glass.

Jeez, this woman is hairier than me!
She's got a beard and a stomach line(?) and back hair!
Billfred
Posted: Dec 15 2009, 01:06 AM

Citizen of the Glade
Group Icon

I was watching Embarrassing Illnesses, my bad.

Did I mention it's Christmas?
Nick still owes me and the boys money, I'm afraid we may need to break his legs again.
Now I'm not a very religious person, but I consider myself holier than thou - I'd say that to the pope I would, but Christmas just isn't Christmas anymore. What happened to baby Jesus? The PC Brigade kidnapped him and sent him to Bedlam House for unlicensed preaching I suspect. This year, Christmas has been beaten with Labour's incompetence like a 10 year old with a large stick. Because of them, (and about a million other factors by the way) I have no money to spend this Christmas.
And Christmas Trees, decorations and lights just look cheap and tacky these days anyway...

And not to mention the hassle it causes in many households, families tend to come back together at Christmas only to be reminded why they hadn't spoken to each other for the past 360summit days.

Ahh well, it's burnt CDs for everyone this year!
Billfred
Posted: Jul 11 2011, 03:04 PM

Citizen of the Glade
Group Icon

Macaroni Cheese in a box.
Kraft, you just hung, drawn and quartered what was a brilliant idea.

I have so much minis to paint, yet haven't painted anything in aaaages!
What's going on?!

Oh and when your family clearly see your little brother playing with your minis while you're away yet do nothing about it.

This post has been edited by Billfred on Jul 11 2011, 03:05 PM
Balthorn
Posted: Aug 12 2011, 05:39 AM

Citizen of the Glade
Group Icon

Member No.: 439

You know, it's a damn shame I don't come on here more often these days. This has got to be one of the best rant threads I've ever read! I feel your pain BF, while simultaneously laughing at your expression of it!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3239 seconds | Archive

This site is not associated with Games Workshop, nor claims any ownership of trademarks in any way.

Skin created by Foxtale and Highborn Sycath.