I know a lot of people have been frustrated with the last couple of years of the show, but a switch to Wednesdays offers the chance for a fresh start.
I know that the subject of returning to the style of the first 2 seasons has been done, but I forcast a big opportunity to improve the show when it returns to Wed. The diehard fans will watch or Tivo the show whenever it is on, but there will be a whole new generation of fans who were 5-7 years old when the show started who now are old enough to watch it. Also, the new show Arrow, as a lead in, will bring younger viewers who must be convinced to stick around for Supernatural.
These are my suggestions, what are yours:
1) Supernatural should become a supernatural X-files. There should be more detective work and creatures from urban legends around the world. The show is international and the villains should draw in different audiences. They did this a little before, more would be great. Also, the bros. need to get back to hunting on the backroads of the Midwest and occassionally the Deep South. These areas have a scariness of their own.
2) The show needs to get younger. The Js are not kids anymore and drawing in a younger audience is key to going beyond an 8th season. Additionally, old characters do NOT need to come back! I like Castiel and Bobby, but younger viewers are not going back to watch 3-4 seasons of the show. New characters are needed and most need to be younger.
3) The show needs to get scarier and more dramatic. The Js act too well not to, I do not mean drama between each other, but vibing off of villains, hunters and terrifying situations. Established fans will like this style and younger viewers will be pulled in as well.
4) Add scarier sets, villains that are made up (no CGI), rock music(as much as they can afford) and the Impala.
5) A mytharc that does not take up the whole season. It needs to be easy to understand and have nothing to do with world domination. It needs to be personal (I wish we could get JDM back and he could play a demon impersonating the Winchester's father).
6) Stop the uneven Hellatus, a later start date helps, but I would rather have one long Hellatus than 2-3 oddly placed ones.