Skin created by chawk. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Supernatural. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Forum Rules Welcome to the Tutorials Forum

Please feel free to post tutorials you've written or request one to be written. You may also post tutorials you've found as long as proper credit is given. Please do not post specific questions in this forum. Post them in the Fanart Help forum instead.

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Animation in GIMP!, ~Begginers to advanced~
x...H.I.M...X
Posted: Mar 19 2009, 05:19 PM

Zombie

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,226

Hey Jen wave.gif

This tut is amazing wink.gif
Going to try out how to make an animation biggrin.gif
Thanks
Dal

edited:

Okay here is my try...
user posted image

Okay its all jumpy laugh.gif And I tried to edit how I placed the layers but it didn't let me see the layers i clicked on and stayed on the last added layer sad.gif

Oh I did not do this :

to fade in and out it's the same as before but instead of duplicating the Image layers you use the next frame and duplicate the plain layers and change their Opacity...if you duplicate the image layer instead of moving on to a seperate image "Frame" then your animation may get Jumpy...or stutter

Do I really need to do this to stop making it jumpy even though I didn't do this in the first place laugh.gif And it still came out jumpy but I think the main problem is they way I have placed the layers...so I just need help on how to go back to my layers and edit them Thud.gif

And I also did another of Brandon Lee wub.gif

user posted image

But it's still too fast sad.gif its set at 10 ml as well ... laugh.gif and yet again I didn't do the fade in and out smile.gif

Need help Sai please biggrin.gif

Thanks
Dal
Saiyuki
Posted: Mar 19 2009, 09:25 PM

Obi_Sai

Group: members
Member No.: 6,385

Right...Firstly...you have done a great job Dal...granted they;re not perfect butfor a first try they're pretty close wink.gif

Right...to be able to line the layers up better so they don't move around like they seem to be in the tut animation (Ziyi Dancing)
basically either don't move them in the first place
IE: open as layer scale...then open the next one as layer and scale to the same dimension but don't moe any of them

If you have to move the layers (EG ...the action is all to one side of the frame and you want it in the center) scale your first frame and position it where you think it looks best then open as layr the next frame....go into the "Layers box"

(2.4... "Dialogues"..."Layers"....
...2.6.... "Windows"..."Dockable dialogs"..."Layers")

and change the "Opacity" of the layer on top....that way you should be able to kind of see the layer below so that you can line it up as best you can wink.gif

BTW I noticed your pretty border there is absolutly perfect thumbsup.gif...it doesn't look like you missed a single frame and they line up just right too, so well done smileybow3ya.gif

I think your brandon Lee animtion is really quite good too smileyclap22nx.gif...the frames are well lined up, but I think this has the same problem as the Dean one that ilaria posted...I think the main reason it runs so fast is becaue there just aren't enough frames per second...you need lots of frames/images for it to run smoothly...

unfortuantly for some reason it won't let me save it to my comp so I can see if re-aranging it would help unsure.gif..it keeps coming up as a .bmp...which is wrong as it's a .gif I can see that dry.gif....bloody computer rolleyes.gif

anyway for now...
This animation is a 54 frame job...

user posted image

yet it runs for just 6 seconds...so it's about 8.5/9 frames per second, you need lots and lots of images to string together...too many gaps that are more than a few frames long them it goes all jumpy or just way too fast...unsure.gif

this one is a massive 85 layers...and still only runs for about 10 seconds...

user posted image

It is really tricky and really annoying/time consuming...but once you get the amount of frames per second you need the resuts are totally worth it

I'll try and do an example of what I mean later...as I said it takes a while to get the caps laugh.gif
...but I'll show you the differene between taking every frame...every other frame, every third frame and every fourth frame..you wouldn't think it's be alot but when it all comes together the results from getting the right FPS can make the difference wink.gif

BTW I most often take every third frame for a Real time look
...but to do a slo-mo you'll need to use every other or every single frame wink.gif

I'll be back ASAP to show you the differences smile.gif

...for doing a vid style animation getting the right caps is usually the hardest part wink.gif

x...H.I.M...X
Posted: Mar 20 2009, 01:21 PM

Zombie

Ahh stupidme.gif Jeebees ... I didn't save the images and then open them as layer scale laugh.gif I'll try that and see if it works biggrin.gif

Aww happy.gif Your making me go all embarassed.gif ..y laugh.gif Thank you Jen hug9in.gif

I'll be back later biggrin.gif

Edited: Jen *squeals*

I've done it biggrin.gif

user posted image

skip.gif skip.gif

*Goes off to make more animations*

Thank you Sai hug9in.gif Your the best!

Dal
Saiyuki
Posted: Mar 22 2009, 06:25 PM

Obi_Sai

Perfect Dal!!! smileyclap22nx.gif

Welldone happy.gif

I will have the Frames example up here later..I haven't had time on th comp over the last couple of days rolleyes.gif

Thanks for being patient tongue.gif
x...H.I.M...X
Posted: Mar 22 2009, 07:10 PM

Zombie

awwessssh thats okay dokey biggrin.gif

Take your time! wink.gif

Thankies hug9in.gif
Saiyuki
Posted: Apr 12 2009, 10:14 PM

Obi_Sai

*Facepalm*...man I suck....totally forgot to post these laugh.gif

My speed examples wink.gif

every single frame...very slow

user posted image

every other frame...slow but better...

user posted image

Every third frame...just about right wouldn't you say? tongue.gif

user posted image

when you get to about every fourth or fith frame it just moves too quickly and stutters
...I hope these examples help you guys out more...

with a vid animation you really need as many frames as you can get smile.gif
...if you don't have enough frames it just won't work too well sleep.gif
...that's the part, as i said before, that takes all the time...getting the caps in the first place dry.gif
Supernatural_luver
Posted: Apr 20 2009, 01:36 AM

Fire Demon

Member No.: 14,221

hey Sai! wave.gif
this tut is brilliant and Im so glad you made it for everyone! I was wondering how to do this...
so I have slowly been working through your tut for a while now and Im at the text part and Iv hit a roadbump dry.gif
anyway here is what I have (its not too clean and a bit slow and such but here it is)
user posted image
now I tried to do the fade away but its not working...
i did all the layer how you wanted me to and such...
heres a picture of my dialogue...
user posted image
user posted image
^that is the whole part I had to do two pictures I hope that makes sense smile.gif

anyway I don't know if that would be any help to you or not
tried merging a few layer together
before it like got lighter in one frame at the end but it seemed like that was because I duplicated the layer.... you know how an image gets lighter when you duplicate it?
i dont know what I did to make it go fuzzy at the end... unsure.gif

anyway id love the help!
thanks so much! I hope a made at least a little sense! laugh.gif
Saiyuki
Posted: Apr 20 2009, 10:48 PM

Obi_Sai

ahh..I think I know what it is..

You see a .gif image can't undertand a faded image...which is why you have to merge it down to a solid layer...so by adding transparent layers with the lettering "Smile" on them you're just adding more of the word and it won't fade because it can still see the one's below the top layer (because of the transparency)

What you'll need to do is duplicate the layer with the plain Sam image (EG: Base layer) and move it to the top of the pile (Drag it in your layers box if you want)

duplicate it a few more times then duplicate your layer with the full "Smiley" text on it a few times...and place one in-between each of the layers with the sam image and then change the opacity of the text layers and merge them down

so in your dialogs box it should be something like...
---------------
Sam ...(Top layer)
Sam
Smiley @ 10% opacity...then merge down
Sam
Smiley @ 30% opacity...then merge down
Sam
Smiley @ 70% opacity...then merge down
Sam
Smiley
Smile
Smil
Smi
Sm
S
Sam...(Bottom/Base/Background layer)
--------------------

...that make sense? huh.gif

it should them look roughly like this...

user posted image

I also duplicated the lettering layers (so there are 2 layers of "S", two of "Sm", two of "Smi" etc...) to slow it down a bit

I saved it at 50ms too wink.gif

I hope that helps you out biggrin.gif
Supernatural_luver
Posted: Apr 21 2009, 01:23 AM

Fire Demon

ahh thank you so much! you are the best! hug9in.gif
I'll try it again when i have more time...
but thanky thanky thanky!!! smile.gif
Saiyuki
Posted: Apr 21 2009, 02:36 AM

Obi_Sai

You're welcome
I just hope it helps unsure.gif

Let me know if it's still not happening, we may have to try somthing else wink.gif
Supernatural_luver
Posted: Apr 21 2009, 02:52 AM

Fire Demon

okay I will let you know!
rawr_dinosaur
Posted: Apr 3 2011, 06:20 PM

she had her heart set on mexico.

Member No.: 37,030

THANK YOU. SO FREAKING MUCH.

I've been trying to figure out how to do text on a .gif for-freaking-ever. -tackles- Thank you, thank you, thank you!

=D

user posted image

(Not exactly perfect but at least I know more of what I'm doing now!)
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1568 seconds | Archive