zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to REBT CBT Workshop & Discussion Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Albert Ellis Book List, at new fan site
Gayle
Posted: Jun 14 2007, 09:14 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17

Many people have asked for a good reading list of books by Albert Ellis. The new Albert Ellis Friends fan site has one of the most comprehensive lists I've seen.

Some of the mentioned titles are out of print, but they can be ordered from various sources on the internet. You can usually find an out-of-print book by using a search engine and typing in the book's title + Albert Ellis.

Here's the list, in alphabetical order...

http://albert-ellis-friends.net/books.htm

Gayle

Keiran
Posted: Jun 16 2007, 05:49 PM

Member No.: 250

Gayle

This list is a useful reference. Will you be adding Albert Ellis's audio and visual recordings to it?

K I
Steve
Posted: Jun 17 2007, 09:27 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

Well, firstly: good luck to albert-ellis-friends.net . This is a nice initiative and I hope the site is allowed to keep its name, which the Albert Ellis Foundation website was not. “Albert Ellis” is now claimed as a ‘trademark’ by the AEI apparently. Al could change his name à la Prince, maybe: call himself the Psychologist Formerly Known As Albert Ellis...let them deal with the proprietary implications of that. Is he allowed to have ‘friends’?? What’s the official word on this? The latest Orwellian love note on the AEI site says that “The staff is working to ensure that all visitors for Dr. Ellis reach him in a timely fashion.”

Anyway, the book list at albert-ellis-friends.net is not good enough. The first thing I expect of a self-described “fan site” dedicated to the work of writer Albert Ellis is a comprehensive list of the things he has written. The jacket blurb on “Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy” (Prometheus Books, 2004) says he is the author of “more than 75 books”. The blurb on “Ask Albert Ellis” (Impact Books, 2003) says there are more than 65 on psychotherapy and self-help alone. Let’s have them listed please, with publication dates and publishers. (What about the uncollected articles? And what about foreign rights: How many Ellis books have been published in translation?).

So far you won’t find detailed bibliographical Ellis information at the sites of the Albert Ellis Institute, the REBT Network, Albert-Ellis-Friends, the Association for Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (AREBT), Mike Abrams’s Ellis site www.rebt.ws., or Jim Byrne’s site www.rebt.cc. As far as I know you won’t find it anywhere online.

On the limited book list at REBT Network, however, you will find a third-place ranking for Windy Dryden’s “Albert Ellis Live!” (a book compiled, I believe, as a fundraiser for the AEI when the principals of the current struggle were still talking to each other…) We are urged on the REBT Network site to buy this from Amazon at a cost of $123. Should this be interpreted as a heartfelt contemporary recommendation??

Keiran
Posted: Jun 20 2007, 02:17 PM

Member No.: 250

Google book search (http://books.google.com) can be a useful resource for locating AE’s books and authored chapters. Sometimes lets you take a peek inside as well.

KI
« Next Oldest | CAMPAIGN FOR JUSTICE FOR ALBERT ELLIS and REBT | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0203 seconds · Archive