Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to REBT CBT Workshop & Discussion Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Update on Al, The latest News 1-21-07
Gayle
Posted: Jan 25 2007, 02:02 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17

ALBERT ELLIS SPEAKS OF HIS PLANS FOR 2007

January 21, 2007 -- Dr. Albert Ellis ended 2006 with a series of spectacular teaching sessions with groups of college students. The students met with Al on successive Saturday afternoons in November and December. Many of you have written to ask about Al's plans for the future. He has ambitious goals for 2007. This is what he sees himself doing in the next year ...

To Our Friends and Supporters,

In the coming year I'll continue to push Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) by talking with students, therapists and others on our website and in other ways.  I hope you will encourage the use of REBT, too.

I will continue to write and to see people.  I will finish my autobiography, I'll continue writing my book on love, and I'll write other papers.  I'll participate in the APA annual convention, and in other events.  I will continue to work on my health and on becoming physically stronger and healthier.  I'll continue to enjoy being with my loving and devoted wife Debbie.

I hope that more and more people will learn about REBT and along with you, our friends and supporters, will continue to use and practice it in order to make all of your lives better and happier.

~Albert Ellis~
January 2007

BILL & AL'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE: Dr. William Glasser Reflects on His Relationship with Dr. Albert Ellis

Editor's note -- Dr. William Glasser, the creator of Reality Therapy, has written a moving tribute for the Albert Ellis News. Dr. Glasser is best known for the success of Reality Therapy. In 1998, Dr. Glasser wrote Choice Theory -- why so many people are unhappy in their relationships. Dr. Glasser says that unlike all other living creatures, only human beings are genetically driven by the need for power. We try to satisfy that need by using what he calls external control psychology -- literally trying to force people to do what we want them to do. Dr. Glasser teaches that if we cannot figure out how to satisfy our power needs by respecting each other, we will destroy our relationships and create human problems. He has dedicated the rest of his life to teaching and supporting choice theory as an alternative to the forcing, punishing psychology of disrespect, power struggles and destruction. Dr. Albert Ellis supports Dr. Glasser's dedication to Choice Theory. It is an honor to share with you Dr. Glasser's own story of his surprising relationship with Albert.
~~~~~~~~~

HOW ALBERT ELLIS AFFECTED MY LIFE by Dr. William Glasser, M.D.

I have always been reasonably well-known since my 1965 book Reality Therapy, but I have been more concerned about acceptance of my book Choice Theory. I sent this book to Albert Ellis hoping to receive some sort of an answer and to my surprise, he sent me a 25 page paper critiquing the book in great detail and supporting most of the conclusions in the book.

Some time later, I attended a conference and William Powers was there along with Albert Ellis, myself and Alfie Kohn. At that conference, Albert Ellis presented the paper he sent me on the book Choice Theory and he did an amazing job. I was able to personally meet with him at that conference and we were able to spend some time and have lunch together. Since that time, we have certainly become quite good friends and I support him in almost everything he does.

After the book, Choice Theory, I wrote a book called Counseling with Choice Theory. I sent it to Albert, and again, to my surprise, instead of sending me a brief comment, he took his time and went through it word by word. He also sent me an audio tape suggesting about 60 changes to the book, which he thought would make it more effective than it was. I think I took about 59 of his suggestions. He also sent me a blurb for the cover of the book, which I cherish.

At the annual Evolution of Psychotherapy Conference in 2006, I was able to get to know him even better. I was able to present with him and that, to me, was the highlight of the conference.

Although Albert Ellis has a very different personality than mine and expresses himself quite differently, he seems to understand the concepts of Choice Theory about as well as anyone. In fact, I am excited because this summer, he is being presented with an award from the American Psychological Association in San Francisco. Jon Carlson, who is one of my closest associates, has invited me to comment on my experiences with Albert Ellis and I am looking forward to doing it.

I hope this sheds some light on how Albert Ellis has affected my life.

Dr. William Glasser
January 3, 2007

UPDATE ON AL'S HEALTH

Al started the New Year with a respiratory infection that left him coughing through the night. That meant neither he nor Debbie were getting much sleep. The doctor observed him closely for about a week and then decided it was time for antibiotics. Within a few days, Al's chest symptoms began to improve. Fortunately, the infection stayed in the upper respiratory area and did not turn into pneumonia. Al is on the mend from this seasonal illness, but he's not not feeling as strong as he did last month. At age 93, it takes longer to recover than it did in his younger years.

He had several groups of psychology students scheduled to come for hour long demonstrations of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT.) But along with the cough came a minor case of laryngitis -- Al's voice was reduced to a low croak. That meant the classes had to be canceled. If all goes well, those classes will be rescheduled for some time in February. Al was disappointed to cancel the classes.

We're still waiting to get official word on whether or not the Institute has made good on it's early November promise to pay Al's medical bills while he is a patient at the physical rehabilitation facility where he has been recovering his strength after a long hospitalization for respiratory and digestive woes. As of the end of December, AEI had made none of the payments.

WISE WORDS FROM DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.

As we look back at all that has happened in the controversy between Albert Ellis and the Institute he founded, it can serve us well to keep these words of a Great American in mind:

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved with it as he who helps to perpetuate it.  He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. ~

Al and Debbie send their thanks and appreciation to all of the Friends and Supporters who have worked for Al's human rights and promoted REBT in 2006.. Al asks us all to "keep up the good work in 2007 ... and KEEP WORKING HARD!" He most certainly will.

More Later ....
Gayle
Friend and Supporter of Albert Ellis and Debbie Joffe
« Next Oldest | CAMPAIGN FOR JUSTICE FOR ALBERT ELLIS and REBT | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0207 seconds · Archive