zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Pixel Pagoda. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Affiliates:
- - - The Writer's Forum - The Spriter's Zone
Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Dark's Platoon
DB
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 10:22 PM

Hold it, etc.
Group Icon

Group: Epic Heroes
Member No.: 88

QUOTE (Evilagram @ Apr 14 2010, 11:02 AM)
Sorry, I didn't realize I was posting in literary critique.

Wait. That's not what the header says!

Whoa, I wasn't aware that the header said "Graphic art off-topic posts".
Guess it does though.

--------------------
user posted image
Swayin' yo hips? The fuck you doin?
I think you need to leave. We'll be fine, but you need to go.
Meeko
Posted: Apr 14 2010, 12:41 AM

Actually not a girl!
Group Icon

Group: Gods
Member No.: 2

When critiquing something like a comic, you are going to have to mention both writing and the art. They are both equally important, you smug asshole. Sure, your expertise happens to be art, and you can go ahead and leave commenting on writing to others, but it is still something that has to be mentioned. Take something like Dinosaur Comics for example. We would put that in this section, despite the fact that the only new thing each comic is the writing. This is because comics are things with graphics, and thus graphic art.

--------------------
user posted image
Irregular Days - My new and shitty personal website.
My DeviantArt?!
------
[03:18] DB: Everything's coming up DB
Evilagram
Posted: Apr 14 2010, 01:49 AM

He is the Kanye West of pixel art.
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,202

QUOTE (DB @ Apr 13 2010, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (Evilagram @ Apr 14 2010, 11:02 AM)
Sorry, I didn't realize I was posting in literary critique.

Wait. That's not what the header says!

Whoa, I wasn't aware that the header said "Graphic art off-topic posts".
Guess it does though.

>Graphic Art Critique
>Post relating to graphic art
>Claiming that's off topic

user posted image

When critiquing something like a comic, you are going to have to mention both writing and the art. They are both equally important, you smug asshole. Sure, your expertise happens to be art, and you can go ahead and leave commenting on writing to others, but it is still something that has to be mentioned. Take something like Dinosaur Comics for example. We would put that in this section, despite the fact that the only new thing each comic is the writing. This is because comics are things with graphics, and thus graphic art.

As I said to Lukki in the PM I sent him before this thread was posted, going through a 190+ page comic takes too much damn time. I'd love to give a complete review, but I do not have the time for reading all of it.

Yes, comics have words. But they also have pictures.

So, why are you after my head for commenting on the pictures but not the story? You commented on the story but not the pictures? Damn, people!

So what if I didn't comment on the comic in its entirety? Is my critique any less damn valid? Do I have to comment on the exact errors in the anatomy, shading, coloring, flow, and story of EVERY SINGLE PAGE!?

The forum title is graphic art critique, I critiqued the graphic art. I really do not have time to read the entire comic. The fuck do you want me to do? I can't pull time out of my ass.

--------------------
I keep a list of pixel art tutorials here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/416986/misc/SpriteTutorials.html

Please use these.
DB
Posted: Apr 14 2010, 03:21 AM

Hold it, etc.
Group Icon

Group: Epic Heroes
Member No.: 88

You responded to a post about the quality of the story with a suggestion about the art. If you want to change the topic to how his art isn't up to scratch, write a critique about it.

--------------------
user posted image
Swayin' yo hips? The fuck you doin?
I think you need to leave. We'll be fine, but you need to go.
derek
Posted: Apr 14 2010, 07:43 AM

Follow my orders dammit!
Group Icon

Group: Critics
Member No.: 115

Yes, comics have words. But they also have pictures.

So, why are you after my head for commenting on the pictures but not the story? You commented on the story but not the pictures? Damn, people!

This whole thing is self explanatory

QUOTE (Lukki)
I might try a different improvement comic on a later date in an effort to fix the problem I have with plots and characters.

See the quote you pulled yourself has nothing to do with the visual side of the comic. This quote about plot, and character development.

QUOTE (Evilagram)
Do studies.

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm#studies

This is all about the visuals and has nothing with plot structure or character development. Meeko summed this up perfectly by saying

QUOTE (Meeko)
That has nothing to do with plots and characters.

Now you could say that you misread the quote, thus the motivation behind linking to an art tutorial about drawing characters, but it doesn't make you any less in the wrong, so you should stop arguing the point.

So what if I didn't comment on the comic in its entirety? Is my critique any less damn valid?

Yes. Because you did not comment on the comic at all. You linked to an article and said "do studies." It isn't a comment, because your post lacks something to comment on. If you were to write an observation about the art then post the tutorial, it would be valid, but you didn't, it isn't.

Do I have to comment on the exact errors in the anatomy, shading, coloring, flow, and story of EVERY SINGLE PAGE!?

This method of reviewing will hit lukki over the head over 1000 times with the same critique over and over again, making your critique long, redundant, and unprofessional, example: this sentence.

Just read the comic, find errors that are being repeated without correction (constants) and comment on those errors and how to fix them. You don't need to bring every single page in as an example.

The forum title is graphic art critique, I critiqued the graphic art. I really do not have time to read the entire comic. The fuck do you want me to do? I can't pull time out of my ass.

I don't see how this is anyone's problem but your own, and leads me to believe you lack work ethic. Can't pull time out of your ass? Then come back and work on it when you have some more.

I don't have time to read this entire comic right now, I have to get to work in an hour. So instead of reading as many pages as I can and coming to a conclusion about the comic's quality in that amount of time, I will hold off my review until I have more time to read the rest of the comic, so that I can come to an informed conclusion.

If you really do not see yourself having enough time to pull off writing a high quality review for every single comic that you choose to comment on (the duty that comes along with the critic title here), you'd be better off resigning.

We will not blame you if that really is the case.

--------------------
Dear lord:
This is all your fault, fix it.
RaveDuck
Posted: Apr 14 2010, 08:15 AM

Unregistered

This is like watching a group of vultures squawking over a kill.

Agram: make sure to explain your links when you post them to the critique area.
I know you already talked with lukki about his comic. Just do it in the future.
(And don't say you don't have time for us, we all have a busy schedule to deal with as well.)

This is a thread about Lukki's work.
Stop squabbling here.
There is a difference between disagreeing with a critique and what you people appear to be doing.
LukkiStarr
Posted: Apr 14 2010, 09:19 AM

The Lukki says "OBJECTION!"
Group Icon

Group: Lukkis
Member No.: 333

Agram giving only a short comment here is fine. As mentioned earlier, we talked about it in PMs.

Also, the reason why Dark's Platoon is under graphic Art Critiques is because the... um... classification was mentioned in another thread.

QUOTE (robertllynch @ Apr 11 2010, 07:31 PM)
Literary Works include any creative work of text. Examples include: fiction, non-fiction, essays, op-ed pieces, etc...

Graphic Art includes any creative work with visual content. Examples include: comics (drawn or sprite), drawings, paintings (traditional or digital), photography, etc...

We don't want to discriminate here.

Which is why I saw it fit to put a comic in this section.

Does this mean that someone who wants critique for both art and writing of their comic has to post two identical threads on both sections?

Also somewhat relevant: Reading through Dark's Platoon should take a few hours. Making a single, 3-panel strip can take time from half an hour to two hours. Improvement isn't easy either. I may or may not start practicing the techniques people give me in their critiques. If I do, it will take some time for the art to change anyway. Rome wasn't built in one day (Unless you play Civilization).

~Lukki

--------------------
user posted image
My deviantart.
Free of rabid fans since the dinosaurs died.
Pun-ished on a frequent basis.
Evilagram
Posted: Apr 15 2010, 11:08 PM

He is the Kanye West of pixel art.
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,202

QUOTE (DB @ Apr 14 2010, 03:21 AM)
You responded to a post about the quality of the story with a suggestion about the art. If you want to change the topic to how his art isn't up to scratch, write a critique about it.

Then I quoted the wrong thing. Wonderful.

I already wrote a critique via PM, Lukki mentioned it in the OP.

I'm not going to bother replying to Derek's post. Too long, misses the point.

--------------------
I keep a list of pixel art tutorials here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/416986/misc/SpriteTutorials.html

Please use these.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0650 seconds · Archive
Affiliates:
- - - The Writer's Forum - The Spriter's Zone
Original IPB Orange style made by MrChicken
IPB Orange Editing and Logo by Robert L. Lynch