Welcome to LominAleCantina. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

The Avengers and Marvel
EmperorFel
Posted: May 6 2012, 10:00 AM

Just Call Me Emps

Group: Members
Member No.: 871

QUOTE (millernumber1 @ May 4 2012, 05:41 PM)
I found it hard to care when yet another fist punched yet another face.

If that's not your thing, avoid films with Hulk's in them. laugh.gif

Solid 9/10 for me.
Chimpo
Posted: May 6 2012, 11:39 AM

Imp Boy
Group Icon

Group: Wraiths
Member No.: 10

Estimated weekend gross is 200.3 milion $ jawdrop.gif jawdrop.gif jawdrop.gif

--------------------
"I actually like Jaina/Jag best. Because they're such an imperfect fit, unstoppable force vs. unmoveable object, they challenge each other more and make one another cooler." Aaron Allston
Shinar
Posted: May 6 2012, 01:28 PM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8

I want to see it but can't take the kiddo sad.gif She's old enough that we can't watch grown-up movies with her anymore.

--------------------
May you pick up your tea when itís exactly the right temperature, and may you happen to glance out the window when the light is just how you like it.
Casual Blessings
millernumber1
Posted: May 6 2012, 01:49 PM

Numbers

Member No.: 834

QUOTE (EmperorFel @ May 6 2012, 10:00 AM)
If that's not your thing, avoid films with Hulk's in them. laugh.gif

Er...did you see the sentence after that?

--------------------
We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth. - Lara Notsil, Solo Command
Revenge Fangirl article! smile.gif
Darth Lex
Posted: May 6 2012, 06:27 PM

Lex
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Wow, guess I really need to get out to see this next weekend, huh? shock2.gif

--------------------
"Okay, if you're going to question the importance of an actor's signature on a plastic helmet from a movie based on a comic book, then all of our lives have no meaning." ~ The Big Bang Theory
EmperorFel
Posted: May 6 2012, 11:10 PM

Just Call Me Emps

Member No.: 871

QUOTE (millernumber1 @ May 6 2012, 01:49 PM)
Er...did you see the sentence after that?

Yes I did. I wasn't sure if you were making an observation of what your own preferences are, or attempting to critique the film for having a little too much violence at times. It sounded like the latter, which prompted my comment. In good spirit, I might add.
millernumber1
Posted: May 6 2012, 11:38 PM

Numbers

Member No.: 834

Just making sure. It's not the violence per se, but the way it was filmed, structured, and choreographed. I need to either want the violence to stop, or need it to continue - not just endure it.

And yes, there are level of violence extension which are fine for some that aren't for others, but I think it's perfectly acceptable to think the violence could have been made more interesting.

--------------------
We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth. - Lara Notsil, Solo Command
Revenge Fangirl article! smile.gif
Darth Lex
Posted: May 7 2012, 07:56 PM

Lex
Group Icon

Just some amazing numbers, courtesy of BoxOfficeMojo:

The superhero team-up got off to an unprecedented $207.4 million start this weekend, which obliterates the previous all-time weekend record set by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 last Summer ($169.2 million). ... It also had the highest per-theater average ever for a nationwide release with $47,698. ...

Still, there was the problem of reaching people who hadn't turned out for Thor, Captain America and The Incredible Hulk. That was solved by Disney's massive campaign that made the movie seem accessible even for people who have never picked up a comic book in their life. The marketing conveyed that there was a major threat, and the only way to combat it was by bringing together the world's greatest superheroes. The "head count" ad was a centerpiece of this campaign: it introduced each of the Avengers with a quip from the most-popular Avenger, Tony Stark/Iron Man, and provided a few brief glimpses of the character in action. By the end of that commercial, even the most oblivious viewers probably had a good sense for who everyone was.

thumb.gif

--------------------
"Okay, if you're going to question the importance of an actor's signature on a plastic helmet from a movie based on a comic book, then all of our lives have no meaning." ~ The Big Bang Theory
oldjedinurse
Posted: May 7 2012, 08:16 PM

Scrubs: Banner Artist
Group Icon

Member No.: 60

Heard someone say The Avengers' numbers are because it was the only big-name new movie this weekend. Of course, the same person said it was a guy-teen flick. Then I wondered why the trailer made ME want to see it? I liked the over-the-top personalities and actors (like Robert Downey, Jr.). laugh.gif

--------------------
Just when I think things can't get any worse, they do.
~ The Book of Scrubs
Darth Lex
Posted: May 7 2012, 08:23 PM

Lex
Group Icon

Robert Downey Jr. is one of the main reasons I want to see this movie! laugh.gif

Although I did like both Thor and Captain America, and the actors in the lead roles in both, so I'm certainly happy to see more of them too. yes.gif

--------------------
Chimpo
Posted: May 7 2012, 08:49 PM

Imp Boy
Group Icon

It opens on Friday in Poland and we are getting a group trip so it should be fun biggrin.gif

--------------------
"I actually like Jaina/Jag best. Because they're such an imperfect fit, unstoppable force vs. unmoveable object, they challenge each other more and make one another cooler." Aaron Allston
Darth Lex
Posted: May 10 2012, 08:44 PM

Lex
Group Icon

I'm finally going to get to see this on Saturday! francis.gif

--------------------
FelsGoddess
Posted: May 10 2012, 09:30 PM

Member No.: 798

QUOTE (Darth Lex @ May 7 2012, 09:23 PM)
Robert Downey Jr. is one of the main reasons I want to see this movie! laugh.gif

Same here. tongue.gif

Chimpo
Posted: May 11 2012, 02:45 PM

Imp Boy
Group Icon

This movie was AWESOME!!!!

It was fun, it was funny, it had fantastic action scenes and overall it was AWESOME! I need to find cash to see it again. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Darth Lex
Posted: May 13 2012, 08:41 PM

Lex
Group Icon

I saw it yesterday -- will post my thoughts tomorrow.

In the meantime, per Hollywood Reporter:
Breaking another record, "The Avengers" grossed a stunning $103.2 million during the weekend in North America, becoming the first movie to cross the $100 million mark in its sophomore outing. ... Internationally, "Avengers" already has eclipsed the three "Spider-Man" pics and "The Dark Knight" to become the most successful superhero title of all time.

Most impressive. dv.gif

This post has been edited by Darth Lex on May 13 2012, 08:41 PM

--------------------
Darth Lex
Posted: May 20 2012, 09:14 PM

Lex
Group Icon

So The Avengers has been in release for 17 days -- and it is already at #6 all time on the domestic box office list. shock2.gif shock2.gif And it's over $100M past Avatar's 17-day total and about $60M past The Dark Knight's 17-day total. Impressive!

This post has been edited by Darth Lex on May 20 2012, 09:15 PM

--------------------
Shinar
Posted: Jun 8 2012, 09:44 PM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

We finally saw Avengers today! We both loved it, definitely as good as we'd heard. There were no characters I disliked which is a refreshing change. I think I liked Captain America in this better than I did in his own movie, ditto for Iron Man.

--------------------
May you pick up your tea when itís exactly the right temperature, and may you happen to glance out the window when the light is just how you like it.
Casual Blessings
T'Keira Lea
Posted: Oct 23 2012, 07:50 AM

TKL
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

--------------------
ďBones is heading into its 7th year & there comes a point where you put up or shut up...You canít extend that tension that long without your fans breaking." ~ Castle's creator

user posted image
T'Keira Lea
Posted: Oct 23 2012, 01:31 PM

TKL
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

If you can't resist speculating try io9's breakdown.

--------------------
ďBones is heading into its 7th year & there comes a point where you put up or shut up...You canít extend that tension that long without your fans breaking." ~ Castle's creator

user posted image
Shinar
Posted: Oct 24 2012, 08:58 PM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

The trailer does look cool and that's a nice breakdown. Tons of speculating to do.

--------------------
Casual Blessings

Topic OptionsPages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2362 seconds | Archive