InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to LominAleCantina. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

World of Warcraft
Shinar
Posted: Jul 22 2011, 05:39 PM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8

An excerpt from the new book:

Nobundo turned to Thrall and Aggra as they approached. He was a former draenei. His form was not proud and strong and tall, but bent, almost deformed, caused by exposure to fel energies. Many Broken were dark and corrupted, but Nobundo was not. Indeed, he had been blessed, his great heart opening to the shamanic powers, and it was he who had brought these powers to his people. Beside him were several draenei, their blue forms undamaged, sleek, clean. Yet, to Thrall and many others, Nobundo outshone them all because of who he was.

When the high shaman's gaze fell upon Thrall, the orc wanted to look away. This being—indeed, all the other shaman gathered here—was someone Thrall respected deeply, and had never wished to disappoint. And yet, he had.

Nobundo beckoned Thrall to him with an oversized hand. "Come, my friend," he said quietly, regarding the orc kindly.

Many were not so charitably minded, and Thrall felt angry gazes being cast his way as he approached Nobundo. Others came silently to join in this informal gathering.

"You know the spell we were attempting to work," Nobundo said, his voice still calm. "It was to soothe and comfort the earth. It is admittedly a difficult working, but one that all of us here know how to do. Can you tell us why you—?"

"Stop dancing around the subject," growled Rehgar. He was a massive orc, battle-scarred and hulking. One would not look at him and think "spiritual," but whoever made that assumption would be very wrong. Rehgar's life journey had thus far taken him from gladiator to slave owner to loyal friend and advisor to Thrall, and that journey was far from over. Now, though, a lesser orc than the former warchief of the Horde might have quailed before his anger. "Thrall... what the fel was going on with you? We could all feel it! You weren't focusing!"

Thrall felt his hands curl into fists and forced them to relax. "Only because you are my friend will I permit you to speak so to me, Rehgar," Thrall said quietly, but with an edge to his voice.

"Rehgar is right, Thrall," Muln Earthfury said in his deep, rumbling voice. "The working is hard, but not impossible—not even unfamiliar. You are a shaman, one who has been through all his people's true rites. Drek'Thar hailed you as the savior of his people because the elements spoke to you when they had been silent for many years. You are no inexperienced child, to be coddled and sympathized with. You are a member of this Ring—an honored and strong one, or else you would not be here. And yet you crumbled at a crucial moment. We could have silenced the quakes, but you shattered the working. You need to tell us what is distracting you so that we may aid you."

"Muln—" Aggra began, but Thrall lifted a hand.

"It is nothing," he said to Muln. "The work is demanding and wearying, and I have a great deal on my mind. Nothing more than that."

Rehgar uttered an oath. "You have a great deal on your mind," he spat. "Well, the rest of us do as well. Trivial things like saving our world from ripping itself apart!"

For a second, everything went red in Thrall's vision. Muln spoke before Thrall could. "Thrall was leader of the Horde, Rehgar, not you. You cannot know what burdens he bore and perhaps still does bear. And as one who until recently owned slaves, you cannot sit in moral judgment upon him!"

He turned to Thrall. "I am not attacking you, Thrall. I am merely seeking to see how we can aid you, that you can better aid us."

"I know what you are doing," Thrall said, his voice close to a snarl. "And I do not like it."

"Perhaps," Muln said, striving for diplomacy, "you are in need of some rest for a while. Our work is very demanding, and even the strongest must tire."

Thrall did not even grace the other shaman with a verbal reply; he merely nodded curtly and stalked off to his shelter.

He was angrier than he had been in some time. And the person he was most angry with was himself. He knew he had been the weak link in the chain, had failed to put forth the ultimate concentration at the moment when it was most desperately needed. He could not yet drop deep into himself, touch the Spirit of Life within, which was what had been required of him. He didn't know if he would ever be capable of doing so. And because he could not do this thing, the effort had failed.

This post has been edited by Shinar on Jul 22 2011, 05:40 PM

--------------------
May you pick up your tea when it’s exactly the right temperature, and may you happen to glance out the window when the light is just how you like it.
Shinar
Posted: Jul 25 2011, 09:20 PM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

Another excerpt:

It was not in the manner Alexstrasza would have wished, but it did seem that the sudden presence of the twilight dragonflight galvanized the other flights into unified action. Without another breath wasted in argument among themselves, they lifted into the skies, charging to attack the enemy, to protect this sacred temple from danger.

It was an incongruously beautiful violence. Dozens of powerful forms in hues of ruby and emerald and sapphire wheeled and turned in midair. Their foe was all the shades of day turning into night—purple, violet, indigo—and grace and brutality combined into a bloody battle.

As they clashed, a voice seemed to echo in their very ears.

"How kind of so many of you to gather together in a single place, that I might destroy more of you weak creatures so readily."

Alexstrasza flew directly toward a cluster of three dragons, diving out of the way of their deadly breath, colored as purple as they were. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw one of the blues hover for a moment, casting a spell and then folding his wings and diving straight down. She swerved quickly and avoided the sudden storm of what looked to be icicles. One of the twilights managed to turn herself incorporeal, but the other two were too slow. Seizing the opportunity, Alexstrasza darted upward to clamp her massive jaws into the sinuous throat of one of them. Caught in his corporeal form with insufficient strength to transform, the twilight dragon let out a strangled scream and frantically beat the air with his indigo wings, trying to tear away from her. His black claws raked at her belly. Her scales blunted the damage from the attack, but white-hot pain still rippled across her stomach. She bit deeper, and the pain stopped. She opened her jaws and released the limp body, not sparing it a second glance as it tumbled downward.

"Who are you?" she cried, her own voice amplified and carrying on the cold, clear air. "Show yourself, name yourself, or be known for the coward and braggart that you are!"

"Neither braggart nor coward I," the voice came again. "I am known to my followers as the Twilight Father. They are my children, and I love them."

A chill rippled through the great Life-Binder, though she did not know why. If the name was true, and he was the patriarch of these beings—

"Then come forth and protect your children, Twilight Father, or sit back and behold as we slaughter them one by one!"

Two of them dove at her from opposite directions. So intent was she on locating the source of the voice she almost did not sense them in time. With barely a tail's breadth to spare, she folded her wings in and dropped like a stone, turning over as she did so. Directly above her the two twilight dragons shifted into their shadowy forms an instant before their collision, their two bodies passing harmlessly through one another.

Laughter, harsh and smug, enveloped her. "You are as a foolish little girl, for all that you are the great Life-Binder. It will be delightful to watch you crumble to pieces beneath what is to come."

--------------------
May you pick up your tea when it’s exactly the right temperature, and may you happen to glance out the window when the light is just how you like it.
T'Keira Lea
Posted: Jul 26 2011, 08:04 PM

TKL
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

This book has some poor initial reviews coming in at Amazon. I'm sure the fanboys will even it out but some criticism of her writing ability from the first few reviews, which included two 1's and a 2.

--------------------
“Bones is heading into its 7th year & there comes a point where you put up or shut up...You can’t extend that tension that long without your fans breaking." ~ Castle's creator

user posted image
T'Keira Lea
Posted: Dec 19 2011, 07:46 AM

TKL
Group Icon

Ok the Chuck Norris ad is pretty funny. Is the game in trouble with TOR coming out?

--------------------
“Bones is heading into its 7th year & there comes a point where you put up or shut up...You can’t extend that tension that long without your fans breaking." ~ Castle's creator

user posted image
Shinar
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 12:40 PM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

Lots of drama in the WoW world right now but that always comes with expansions. One piece of the puzzle has caught my attention though.

There's an NPC (Non Playable Character) that you interact with in the new starting area. If you are a male panda when you meet for the first time he says, "Hello, friend! You’ve got a strong look to you! I bet you’re all the rage with the ladies! Join me! You and I are going to be good friends!"

If you are a female panda he says, "Hello, friend! You’re some kind of gorgeous, aren’t you? I bet you can’t keep the men off of you! Join me! You and I are going to be good friends!"

eyebrow.gif

Here's a picture comparing the text if you would like to see them.
http://i.imgur.com/Uk1Tr.jpg

Some people took issue with this, I was one of them. The blogosphere got quite heated about it. Lots of folks (mostly women) didn't like it and spoke up. A lot of people pointed fingers and said we were being overly sensitive, looking for trouble, blah blah blah all the usual excuses. Today a new build was released and the NPC's dialog changed, apparently the "you can't keep men off of you" has been removed. I'm relieved but there's a ton of raging going on, one of the bloggers I read has been personally attacked on Twitter.

Ugh, you go LOOKING for things to offend you. You got NPC dialogue changed, you are terrible and you disgust me.

wallbash.gif wallbash.gif wallbash.gif wallbash.gif

Other bloggers (including men) are rallying around her thankfully.

"Hey I didn't care about this dialogue and now it's been changed to something else I don't care about. TIME TO COMPLAIN." -signed, Idiots

--------------------
T'Keira Lea
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 01:37 PM

TKL
Group Icon

So stupid question but why couldn't the female version have said

"Hello, friend! You’ve got a strong look to you! I bet you’re all the rage with the men! Join me! You and I are going to be good friends!"

I'm not opposed to the "gorgeous" but it does fit into the notion that men have to be strong and women have to be beautiful in order to get an alliance or a friendship. So I see why some have an issue with it.

Now the folks attacking the people who took issue with this part are typical a**hats pissing on their turf. I'm sure they have no problem bitching about something they don't like. The incredible thing is if this were a racial issue - for instance if the black bear got denied that greeting as opposed to a white bear this would be the end of the world. But it's a sexism issue so it's treated differently. Unfortunately women need to learn to fight back.

--------------------

user posted image
Darth Lex
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 08:42 PM

Lex
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Okay, the Blizzard mistake is pretty bad, but sadly it's not particularly surprising among the typical crowd who writes these kinds of games (or in the comics industry, for example). These kinds of things still slip through far more often than they should. wallbash.gif

The reaction, on the other hand -- completely appalling. In its own way not surprising either, though... But that kind of idiocy is endemic to the internet, so it's going to crop up no matter what happens. As long as Blizzards stands by its correction -- and, even better, learns something from it -- then they'll just be the idiot haters. twocents.gif

And yes, unfortunately women do still need to fight back hard against this kind of idiot bigotry, until sexism does become just as socially unacceptable as racism and other forms of intolerance.

This post has been edited by Darth Lex on Apr 12 2012, 08:43 PM

--------------------
"Okay, if you're going to question the importance of an actor's signature on a plastic helmet from a movie based on a comic book, then all of our lives have no meaning." ~ The Big Bang Theory
Shinar
Posted: Apr 15 2012, 03:37 PM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

The hubbub around this hasn't died down unforgettably. There's a 50+ page thread on the forums right now that is downright horrifying sad.gif

A well-known WoW comic has spoken up about the drama.

http://www.thedailyblink.com/2012/04/if-yo...y-for-the-best/

I think it was a smart move to disable comments (as sad as that is) rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Shinar on Apr 15 2012, 03:38 PM

--------------------
Shinar
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 11:09 PM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

Just cause I have to squeee a bit and Philippe isn't online.

I just ranked on our 10 man Heroic Blackthorn fight. #127 resto druid OH YEAH woot.gif

--------------------
Darth Lex
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 08:10 AM

Lex
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

I have no idea what that means ( tongue.gif ) but wahoo.gif wahoo.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

--------------------
"Okay, if you're going to question the importance of an actor's signature on a plastic helmet from a movie based on a comic book, then all of our lives have no meaning." ~ The Big Bang Theory
FelsGoddess
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 09:32 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 798

Congratulations! cheer.gif
T'Keira Lea
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 08:24 PM

TKL
Group Icon

I have no idea what that means, Shinar, but wahoo.gif

--------------------

user posted image
Shinar
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 11:47 AM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

I didn't explain what it meant because I wasn't sure myself, I haven't studied parses or rankings in awhile so I'd forgotten doh.gif I did some checking and I have a bit of information on it now.

When people raid (go into a scenario with 10 or 25 people) they frequently record them or parse them. That means taking video or recording the combat log which shows everything that happens including the amount of damage or amount of healing. There are websites you can upload said parses too and it will break things down like World of Logs so you can go and study your performance with the goal of improving.

For example, here's a page graph of the healing done for the fight that I ranked on (I'm Zyleia):
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ijpx...6&e=7771#Zyleia

You can see what I cast, my spikes of activity, blah blah blah.

Rankings are pure numbers. Who put out the biggest damage or healing? It sorts by class and spec so out of all the resto druids who have beat Heroic Blackthorn and been uploaded to WoW Heroes I am the 101st (as of this morning). That's pretty significant because most raiding guilds do this, I'm competing against a lot of really good people.

I would like to thank all of my guildies for taking as much damage as they did, I could never have fulled up their healthpools that much without that wink.gif

--------------------
Shinar
Posted: May 2 2012, 09:56 AM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

Ugh, two prominent druid bloggers have come out and said they are changing classes for MoP. Both of them cited druid design (or lack thereof). "Of course Druids will be viable but. . .". I know it's Beta and Beta is always a clusterfrick but it is still frustrating. Two new beta builds have been released with zero significant changes or feedback despite all of the well documented concerns.

The last time I felt like this was during the Cata beta about shamans (my class at the time). I changed mains back then but that's because I'd also wanted to play my druid for a long time and we moved three time zones so I had to find a new guild and it was practical to change mains anyway. I'm not going to do that again, if druids aren't fun to play in MoP I'm gonna quit the game.

--------------------
Shinar
Posted: May 8 2012, 10:39 AM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

I got into the beta! Downloading the client (20 gigabytes, sheesh) now.

On the plus side one of the developers made a post about druids yesterday. I'm not entirely happy but at least they are doing something (for now).

--------------------
T'Keira Lea
Posted: May 8 2012, 12:00 PM

TKL
Group Icon

Wohoo! Now the fun (or mayhem) begins...

--------------------

user posted image
Shinar
Posted: May 8 2012, 07:54 PM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

Fun biggrin.gif Of course the realms went down for a new build about an hour after I started playing but details. Gives me time to come and babble here.

I copied over my druid main and created everything else as pre-mades (fresh and featureless!). Played on the shaman a bit while I waited for my druid to go thru and promptly logged onto the druid as soon as I could.

Messed around for a bit and I am ambivalent. Many of the things I was raging about earlier have changed.

Things I was mad about:

Resto druids losing Barkskin (aka a personal cooldown) to gain Ironbark, a copy of Barkskin that you could cast on others (aka the tank cooldown we've been asking about for years). That pissed me off because I didn't want to lose my personal cooldown and Ironbark seemed lame (especially compared to a new monk spell). But now we get to keep Barkskin so I'm going to shut up and try to be content.

Mushrooms. OMG Mushrooms. STILL hate the mushrooms. Resent. Despise. I will rail against, rant about and whine about them for months (if not years) to come I am sure. But they've made them somewhat less clunky to use and the effective radius is being expanded in the next beta build. Did I mention I still hate them? I do.

Our level 90 talents were awful. I think they are still barely mediocre but at least they aren't eye-gougingly terrible anymore. A flat stat bonus was tacked to one of the choices (trying to get away from passive bonuses LOLOLOLOLOL). That makes it viable if lame. The only viable one went away but it is no longer a choice in the best way possible. Druids have had the ability to shapeshift out of movement hindering effects since the beginning of the game and that was taken away in Cata. Then it was partially given back. Then they made it one of the level 90 choices and it was clear from the start it was the only choice. But now it is no longer on the tree and the heavens opened up and the angels sang because THANK GOODNESS it is back as it always was, a cornerstone for the class. Every druid gets it automatically. Finally something done right. The replacement talent is boring but will get the job done.

Our new spell for the expansion is still terrible and hasn't been touched in awhile. Still waiting on that. I'm with Liss (of www.restokin.com/) on this, Symbiosis is bad and will go away as soon as the devs realize how bad it is and can get rid of it. Sadly this probably won't happen until after MoP goes live and so we'll be stuck with it a whole Xpac.

I think the 5th tier of druid talents are still bad. Not exactly the spells themselves but the tier and how it is organized. Druids have so much situational CC already, we don't need more. Some more role-oriented talents would be much better.

Things I am happy about: my treant glyph. It makes me so happy to be a tree again, I was giggling like crazy. The Lifebloom glyph is good, I would rather that Lifebloom doesn't require stacking since it's not really the same spell as it originally was, I don't see a point to the stacking but oh well. At least I don't have to keep wasting GCDs on tank swaps. Glyph of Regrowth, eh. Fine whatever.

Then since I was boring the crap out of my husband (we were on Google chat so he was forced to listen to every thought that entered my head) I made a paladin. The paladin talent tree was much more interesting than the druid one, loved the whole thing as a holy pally and only the healing tier felt odd on my offspec (I could still see uses for all of them though so it was okay).

I started exploring a bit on the paladin and wow, I'll have to take some screenshots cause this place is very pretty. Didn't get far before the realm shutdown was announced and they've been down for about four hours now. Supposedly they'll be up soon. I'll probably mess around on them a bit more before my raid tonight.

--------------------
Shinar
Posted: May 16 2012, 11:56 PM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

user posted image

Big deal. Very happy smile.gif

--------------------
Shinar
Posted: Jun 14 2012, 04:22 PM

Explosion Girl
Group Icon

I may have to read The Shattering by Golden now.

Blogger quote:

The fun thing about Aggra is that according to the awful Cataclysm novels, she's actually retarding Thrall's development instead of forwarding it. She constantly belittles everything he does, thinks, and feels, and it's so degrading and traditionally emasculating I'm shocked it not only got approved but that the writing staff is still touting her as a strong female character. I guess that's what they think strong means?

So, uh, on another note this happened last night. It was kind of almost an accident. I was trying to help out my husband's raid and I didn't even realize it was heroic, honest! The good news is Philippe got it too so he can say he nailed the last boss of the expansion on heroic while it was current content, yay!

--------------------
oldjedinurse
Posted: Jun 14 2012, 04:41 PM

Scrubs: Banner Artist
Group Icon

Group: Wraiths
Member No.: 60

Oh...you don't really want to read that, do you?

Just the short blurb you posted frustrates the crap out of me. Strong? Western society is so screwed up in their definition of character. doh.gif

EDIT: Scratch that. It's not "Western society", it's the human race in general. Every region on this planet has its own skewed version of what the best of our attributes are and most can't even properly defend their choices.

This post has been edited by oldjedinurse on Jun 14 2012, 04:44 PM

--------------------
Just when I think things can't get any worse, they do.
~ The Book of Scrubs
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1336 seconds | Archive