This message board will be shut down by the end of this month.

Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Gangsters Inc's: Mobbed Up Forum. Part of the website http://gangstersinc.ning.com We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Mafia Allies by Tim Newark, AKA Mafia at War
GangstersInc
Posted: Jun 9 2007, 06:46 AM

David the webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Mafia Allies: The True Story of America's Secret Alliance with the Mob in World War II (Hardcover)
BY TIM NEWARK
user posted image
Mafia Allies @ Amazon.com

http://gangstersinc.tripod.com/Books/MafiaAllies.html

--------------------
Check out the Gangsters Inc website for all your news and info about organized crime and the mafia!
Rick Mattix
Posted: Jun 25 2007, 11:01 AM

Associate

Group: Members
Member No.: 193

I enjoyed Mafia Allies. There are some quotes from the dubious Last Testament of Lucky Luciano but overall it's a good book and I found the chapters on Sicily especially fascinating.
GangstersInc
Posted: Jul 25 2007, 07:34 AM

David the webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I will read it during my vacation smile.gif Looking forward to it. Of course I've read bits and pieces about the mob's deeds during the war but I'm sure this book will delve deeper in the material.

--------------------
Check out the Gangsters Inc website for all your news and info about organized crime and the mafia!
Paul-Chafs
Posted: Oct 17 2008, 02:45 PM

Underboss
Group Icon

Group: Friend of Ours
Member No.: 2,813

The true story of Britain and America's wartime pact with the Mafia
. Startling secret accounts of Mafia-Allied collaboration
. Allied intelligence reports of Mafia insurgency in Sicily

`An engrossing history that reads like a thriller. The Godfather meets Band of Brothers' - Andrew Roberts

`A fascinating and compelling work on three of the most evil movements of the 20th century. It ought to be required reading for anyone lookingfor insights into the period' - Richard Hammer

The Mafia is the most powerful criminal organisation the world has ever known. This book tells the epic story of how the Mafia was nearly destroyed by Mussolini, prospered in the US, struck a secret wartime deal with the US government, and then backed a bloody rebellion that nearly turned Sicily into an independent Mafia realm.

Using eye-witness accounts, contemporary reports and declassified intelligence documents, some never published before, The Mafia at War reconstructs the relationships of the Mafia and Allied intelligence organisations, including US Naval Intelligence, OSS, CIC, and MI6.

It shows how Lucky Luciano won his freedom thanks to mobster help in World War Two; how Jewish gangsters clashed with Nazis on the streets of New York; how Mafiosi nearly issued contracts to kill top Nazis - including Hitler; how British `bobbies' patrolled the deadly streets of Palermo; and how Mafia-backed bandits conducted a guerrilla war for Sicilian independence.

Startling secret wartime documents reveal that General Eisenhower was happy to arm the Mafia during the Allied invasion of Sicily in 1943 and how the British were equally willing to work with top Mafiosi in their conquest of the island.

The Mafia at War is a dramatic and provocative account of how a criminal organisation exploited the grim realities of World War II to revive its fortunes and dominate global crime.

'
''

Author Tim Newark

Publisher Greenhill Books (United Kingdom)

Year 2007

ISBN 9781853676727

Format Hardback - 320 Pages

Illustrations 16 pages of plates

this book i think is ok...not great but not bad either...

--------------------
"he began stealing tombstones, then he became a car thief, then an assasin, then a smuggler and then a drug smuggler, then he became a representative of the chamber - a politician....the worst of them all."
« Next Oldest | Crime books | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0626 seconds | Archive