Skin Autumnea designed by Zeus00 of the IF Skin Zone.

Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Fynrir. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Chance Meetings
Maerenna
Posted: May 8 2008, 07:04 AM

Master of Runes

Group: Members
Member No.: 31

((These characters are being highly disagreeable and don't want to do anything useful or interesting. Grr.))

"I'll ignore the comment about wildlife," said Thalion, elbowing his brother (who wore a stoic expression that looked as if it had been painted on), "and say that we should probably get moving, judging by the sun."

Ainion nodded his agreement. "Ready to traipse on?"

Edit: ((woo, two pages))

--------------------
Ainion

Okay, I'm sorry about this but I am effectively leaving Fynrir for an indefinite period of time. It is absolutely nothing personal. Please feel free to email me whenever you like.
Arroth
Posted: May 8 2008, 03:33 PM

Paladin

Member No.: 21

((Huzzah! And as for uncooperative Elves, Sohmer just looked at me and shrugged. He's too easygoing to start anything unless they do something first. Any ideas?))

"Whatever you like," Sohmer answered. "We've still got a few hours of daylight left, by my estimation, unless you enjoy traveling at night. Can't say I ever have, but I haven't had much dealing with your folk."

No, he didn't know much about Elves at all, he realized. Apart from the common knowledge that they were very long-lived, if not outright immortal, and very dangerous in a fight, he was relatively ignorant. He didn't really like being ignorant, so he'd use this opportunity to learn something useful about the other race.

--------------------
Maerenna
Posted: May 10 2008, 09:40 AM

Master of Runes

((Grah, stupid characters. wink.gif And no, not really; I suppose they'll get to Vare at some point, won't they?))

"True that darkness may present fewer problems to elves than to humans, but the dangers of the night this close to Albaeir threaten everything," Rimedur remarked softly. His body tilted north; subconsciously he showed his anxiety to move forward.

Ainion nodded. "Unfortunately you're right -- not that I'm afraid, but everyone knows the Spirits have been venturing further into Fynrir recently."

"Have they?" said Thalion blithely. "Insane wolves aren't much to be afraid of, Ainion."

Ainion rolled his eyes. "You ... oh, come on, let's start moving." He turned to Sohmer. "I can tell you about the elves as we walk, if you like. It's rather a long history, though."

((I don't know WHERE my ability to write posts of more than one paragraph went, but it's definitely not here any more.))

--------------------
Ainion

Okay, I'm sorry about this but I am effectively leaving Fynrir for an indefinite period of time. It is absolutely nothing personal. Please feel free to email me whenever you like.
Arroth
Posted: May 10 2008, 08:42 PM

Paladin

((Mmm. Most likely.))

"The spirits are nothing to jest about," Sohmer said, a more serious expression crossing his face for a moment. "I've seen things-" He broke off suddenly. "You hardly want my lectures." He turned to Ainion as they set off again. "It would be my honor to hear whatever you have to tell. I don't know much about that sort of thing, except for old ballads, and the ones I know don't tell much about Elves."

No, the ballads he'd been most interested in involved wine, women, and bloodshed, or any combination of those. Certainly not the sort that would have any sort of practical history involved, if any at all. Ballads written about old battles typically had a great many... artistic liberties taken, one might say.

((As for posts of more than one paragraph, don't worry about them. I know the feeling.))

--------------------
Maerenna
Posted: May 12 2008, 12:22 AM

Master of Runes

"I should not trust old ballads as the most accurate source of information," Ainion grinned. "Folk history is quite clearly distinct from the 'true' history one learns in school, don't you think?

"To illustrate: the ancient personage of I' tint Enna, mage, inventor, architect, and all-around legend. He revolutionised Elven civilisation, developed hundreds of new spells and building techniques, and led the Elves to a time of great prosperity with his magical powers. Principles in his writings were used to facilitate the Great Change. And, of course, he was divinely inspired; the Goddess of Earth's personal favourite."

He glanced at Sohmer. "Ever heard such a song? Hinct wnn non heten Hnngs Neoen / hen hown vga sun osn chm ndn scedth sn ittlel / rp nisga, nsprdith yben hten Artheth Pirits'sn tyb / Heret raen nn resh chs sn imhn nyen rem!" he sang softly. The musical training required of every young elf showed in his clear diction and the ease with which he slid from tenor to baritone range and back again.

"All nonsense, of course. Pure propaganda; I wouldn't be surprised if old Adanion Maidhfinden -- that was his real name, you see -- had written the lyrics himself. It's quite grating to hear once one's found out about his true character -- it actually came out a few hundred years ago that he stole his students' papers and claimed their ideas for himself, and many young mages died testing his more ambitious spells. Quite a nasty piece of work, in the end, but he is still glorified in every history textbook." He shook his head. "One thing I will tell you about elves, sir: they are possessed of an unrivalled pride. Can't admit a single mistake."

((Yes, it's just Pig Elvish. Sorry.))

--------------------
Ainion

Arroth
Posted: May 12 2008, 03:26 AM

Paladin

Sohmer listened appreciatively as the Elf sang. He had a better voice than Sohmer's father, even if Sohmer had no idea what he was saying. "I've known a few people with pride like that, even if I don't know your mage or your song."

He chuckled slightly. "About history, I must agree with you. I never had any schooling, but I do know that the reality of war is a good bit different from what they sing and teach in schools." He unconsciously rubbed a thin scar half-visible through his beard.

((Wow... XD There goes my nice long entry-writing ability too.))

--------------------
Maerenna
Posted: May 14 2008, 10:21 AM

Master of Runes

"Not all comradeship and glory?"

((I'M SO SORRY. I COULDN'T EVEN BRING MYSELF TO ATTRIBUTE THE SPEECH.
Goodness, when will I be able to write again?!?!))

--------------------
Ainion

Arroth
Posted: May 14 2008, 08:31 PM

Paladin

((*pats back* Calm down... It'll be all right.... Sometimes a short post is all that's needed. You're being concise tongue.gif ))

Sohmer snorted. "Comradeship, maybe, but glory? Hardly. Maybe for the commander in his gold-trimmed armor and his white horse, but not for anyone who actually has to fight. Digging latrine trenches isn't glorious. 'S why I do guard work now. Too old for that kind of thing. Leave it for the young bucks too stupid and idealistic to know better."

((O.o That's... the most jaded I've ever seen him. He hasn't showed me that side of him before... And of course he just looks at me and shrugs. rolleyes.gif ))

--------------------
Maerenna
Posted: Jun 7 2008, 12:07 PM

Master of Runes

((Um ... I'm sorry for making you wait, Ara. I'm so sorry. It sort of slipped my mind ... I hope you have fun at church camp.

Elvish))

"He never stops practising that charm, does he?" Thalion remarked softly.

"What do you mean?" asked Rimedur. "Are you referring to Ainion?"

"Naturally. Note the skilful way in which he moulds himself to the human's likings. It's some sort of disease he has, I don't know. I mean, if I didn't know better I'd say he does it for the women, but it's not just every pretty girl he tries to please -- it's everyone he meets. Sometimes I wonder if the friend I know is the true Ainion Voronw at all."

"I think he represents himself as best he knows how."

-----

Ainion laughed softly. "A wise choice, though still not the safest occupation. How goes your business?"

((This was going to be better and then I forgot the rest. Sorry.))

--------------------
Ainion

Arroth
Posted: Jun 15 2008, 07:56 PM

Paladin

((It's ok. And I did... Being a counselor is fun. happy.gif And I can certainly forgive you for that. I've done it myself before.))

Sohmer noted the two Elves speaking quietly in their own tongue, but paid it little heed. Their tone didn't seem hostile, so it probably wasn't anything directly related to his health. He'd keep half an eye on them, but he doubted he needed to worry about anything.

He shrugged. "Not bad, not bad... It's always slow in winter, but there's always some merchant or other that's greedy or fool enough to make just one more trip before the snow sets in, and then after snow comes I can usually find work in town. I just had the ill fortune to end up in the hind part of nowhere this time, but the trip will seem a bit shorter thanks to the company of you gentlemen." On second thought, gentlemen may have been the wrong word, but Sohmer hoped they'd just take the intention and not the literal meaning. He usually didn't enjoy fights he didn't get paid for unless he'd had a good few tankards of mead beforehand.

--------------------
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0450 seconds · Archive