Please post your comments but keep in mind that this site is rated for children.
Click Here to go to Elliot Lake Online
Elliot Lake Forum -> Garage Sale for Maplegate

Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Elliot Lake Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Garage Sale for Maplegate
tamriel
Posted: May 8 2012, 07:58 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

Well, it's coming fast - this saturday is our fundraiser garage sale. Last year we raised $2043 for Maplegate, our local womens shelter...this year our goal is to raise $3000. If you have items to donate, please let me know - we can arrange pick up. We are also having some silent auction items. Reel to Reel has donated a one year movie pass, Mark Hutchison has donated a car detailing, a local painter has donated a beautiful acrylic painting, and I have donated a one day sailing trip, for the silent auction items. We will also be have a barbecue, and baked goods. The moose family centre has also generously donated the use of the hall for us to hold the garage sale in, this means every single penny we raise will go to maplegate. 7am to 1pm at the Moose - hope to see you there!

To donate items, you can call the office at 705-848-2220.

--------------------
Huh?
Justin
Posted: May 8 2012, 10:44 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65

I love sailing. I once rented a 32 foot Aloha from Canadian Yatch Charters and spent a week out on the Georgian bay. I'd do it again in a flash.

--------------------
user posted image"If guns kill people, then:
Pencils misspell words;
Cars make people drive drunk;
Spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat."

tamriel
Posted: May 9 2012, 10:22 AM

Advanced Member

Would you feel comfortable sailing with a 4'9" captain? on a 30' sailboat? ;o)

--------------------
Huh?
Justin
Posted: May 9 2012, 10:46 AM

Advanced Member

Absolutely, providing she knows how to read a chart smile.gif . We are so fortunate to live in an area that has the most beautiful fresh water sailing in the world. 90% of the people here have no idea what's at their front door.

--------------------
Pencils misspell words;

tamriel
Posted: May 9 2012, 11:10 AM

Advanced Member

What's a chart? wink.gif isn't that what GPS is for? lol, kidding! (good thing I took that power squadron course).
There is absolutely no greater pleasure in my little world than being out in the middle of the North Channel, with a nice west wind, moving along quitely with no engine roaring in the background. Rain or shine! It's a joy!

--------------------
Huh?
Justin
Posted: May 9 2012, 11:24 AM

Advanced Member

I'd love to rent from CYC out of Gore Bay again. First I'd like to get a bit more training since it's been while. I do know how to read a chart, and I'm not nervous about handling the yatch, at least not since my last experience. But I do agree, what a wonderful feeling it is out there. The Benjamin Islands, Maryan cove, Bay Fin I believe it was, Killarney and the million Islands that you can sail to.

--------------------
Pencils misspell words;

tamriel
Posted: May 9 2012, 11:34 AM

Advanced Member

You are welcome to join me anytime you like smile.gif ANYONE with a passion for sailing is always welcome! I often have no choice but to go alone, my hubby is often working out of town.

I was out to the Benjamins last year - absolutely gorgeous, but chose to anchor at eagle island and tour the benjamins with the dingy. Had engine failure coming into Gore Bay, rafted the dingy, lol - ran out of dingy gas, was quite an adventure. But made it, safe and sound.

Hilton Beach is a great marina, super terrific harbour master there.

--------------------
Huh?
tamriel
Posted: May 9 2012, 11:43 AM

Advanced Member

Damn, picture isn't working sad.gif

--------------------
Huh?
rothnie
Posted: May 9 2012, 12:21 PM

myrtle the turtle

Member No.: 49

Tamriel ;

Good luck with the Maplegate fundraiser.
The shelter is well worth the safety it provides!

--------------------
IF YOU AIN'T HAPPY !

WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT !
EasyRider
Posted: May 9 2012, 08:26 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

Good luck with the garage sale Tamriel! Do they just take donations at this event as well? We'll stop in and drop a little something in the pot.

We love sailing. Had a small 12 footer for quite a few years, then bought a little cuddy cabin DS16 which we sailed for quite a few more years. Nothing like your 30 foot boat but lots of fun none the less. There really is nothing like sailing.

--------------------
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken ...
tamriel
Posted: May 9 2012, 10:15 PM

Advanced Member

I must say, I am AGAIN, incredibly impressed and amazed and touched at the generousity in our community - thankyou easy.

I would LOVE to try sailing a smaller vessel. A larger boat needs heavier winds to get moving. I often joke that I need hurricane force winds to get my old tub to move, lol. But, I love her all the same.

--------------------
Huh?
Justin
Posted: May 9 2012, 11:51 PM

Advanced Member

One of the highlights for me was after being at the helm for the past 4 days, I was experimenting with getting as much sail as possible and increase my speed. What I didn't take into consideration is that to my right was a large Island, coming into Killarney I believe it was. When I was very close to the 7 knots that I was reaching for, I suddenly got a hard wind as I past the Island. I must say, the entire yatch went to her side and I tried to counter by turning the helm, all the while in a very nervous voice calling out to my buddy. He laughed at the sight of my face as she turned into the wind and straightened out as my speed droped almost instantly. Absolute great fun. As I said, I'd do it in a flash. If I had more confidence in my sailing I think I'd make it an annual thing to charter from CYC. It was by far the most relaxing vacation I had ever had.

--------------------
Pencils misspell words;

tamriel
Posted: May 10 2012, 09:23 AM

Advanced Member

The best way to increase confidence, is to SAIL SAIL SAIL!!! lol. The first time I took my boat out, my only experience was paddling a canoe..I was 'tricked' into docking it myself. With time I became more and more confident with my boat and what she can and can't do, stopping distance turning radius etc.

Basically, I watched a video and just went for it. The following winter I took the Power Squadron course, which was a huge benefit as far as navigation goes, but learned nothing about sailing per se. I have had some harrowing experiences, but remaining calm seems to be the key to overcoming them. Lost the pin on my forestay in heavy winds, and it came of the boat - WITH the headsail out. THAT was interesting!! but made it through, thankfully on that particular outing, I wasn't alone.

When I was out practicing sail trim and the various points of sail, I had a printed and laminated diagram in the cockpit with me, and proceeded to try the different points of sail (beem reach is fastest and most favorite)...well - lol, my chart promptly blew overboard, so I just 'wing it' and just go by the direction of the wind.

A good friend of mine told me sailing is 95% boredom 5% sheer terror, lol.

--------------------
Huh?
Justin
Posted: May 10 2012, 02:47 PM

Advanced Member

Ha, I think I can understand the terror part. I was far from jumping overboard but I sure was concerned when I seen the water beside me instead of below me LOL... Another smooth one I pulled was when I was enjoying the large rolls of the water. The bow was cutting them as I was taking them at a slght angle. At one point I decided to straighten out because (silly me) wanted to spray everyone. Well the wave came over the bow and it cleared the girls and my buddy and hit me almost with full force nearly knocking me overboard. I didn't repeat that for the rest of the day.

--------------------
Pencils misspell words;

never_ran
Posted: May 11 2012, 12:37 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 119

Sailing, OK but? when does one have time to hold their fishing pole, let alone bait the hook? Sounds fascinating though..tell us a few more..

--------------------
user posted image

“One way to distinguish Conservatives from Liberals is that the former excuse the unethical inclinations of the wealthy whereas the latter excuse the unethical inclinations of the poor.”
tamriel
Posted: May 11 2012, 01:53 AM

Advanced Member

Well, my dear never ran - we have been known to troll around achorages in the dingy...hubby caught a 12lbs pike - beautiful fish. We've also macivered our rods to the stern when the wind is low and trolled under sail. BUT as much as hubby would love it, I refuse to put a downrigger on the boat, lol.

Justin, your heeling too far story reminds me of a harrowing experience. We went out one day (in 30 knot winds), I was at the helm, hubby pulled the ENTIRE head sail out.....I swear I could have leaned over and sipped the water. Screamed at said hubby to pull some sail in....which he did, but in the process the cotter pin for the forestay worked it's way loose and came off the boat. the forestay immediately hurled itself perpendicular to the boat, with the sail 3/4 out.

Meanwhile: our dear friend (billigan) and my mother watching us from shore. My mother says "looks like they are having fun" shrugs her shoulders and heads to her own boat. Our friend exclaims "Crazy **stards" and proceeds to HIS boat (only to come out later).

After some colorful language, we managed to regain control and headed for the turnbulls, the only direction I could safely motor in considering our predicament.

Long story short, wound up at the end of the day with FOUR boats at the turnbulls...ALL from Blind River. We limped in with me at the helm and the back stay resting on my head (scary as hell) tucked into a tiny little corner, the only one that was sheltered enough to get our sail in. As we struggled (and made words up) our friend radioed us to ask if we wanted assistance - we TOTALLY did. Well, unfortunately when he went to start his engine to come into the anchorage, nada! he had to drop the anchor under sail while going quite fast, he had ONE chance, or he would have imbedded himself into the island. THEN another couple from blind river came in, they had no issues - UNTIL they anchored directly behind us, they dragged 3X they beached themselves (cause their engine failed).

Finally, another fellow boater came to us from longpoint anchorage nearby to offer assistance...he pulled in on fumes, JUST as we finished pouring 20 litres of fuel into our boat.

Oddly, although there were only 2 people at the marina when we all departed, when we all limped in the following day (incredibly early, and very hungover, I might add) everyone was there. Unfortunately I was the first to arrive, alone, as hubby went with another boater who had no engine and was rafted to our dingy....Greeted with comments such as "well, here comes the first '*etard" and "Hey, anybody at the helm over there" (short, remember!).

Then one by one, all crippled, we all returned to the Marina. I must say it was incredible watching our friend 'billigan' come in under sail.

Now here is the crazy part.....that was SO much fun!!! Yes, scary times, but adventurous and exciting, and thrilling that we made it through alright. I think I'm hooked, lol. The punchline, the cotterpin remained on deck, nice and neat right beside the forestay.

*I've also been known to make a concerted effort to 'spray' everyone. lol, I wear a harness now.

--------------------
Huh?
never_ran
Posted: May 12 2012, 08:02 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 119

101.gif Good times indeed! =:cheers:TYVM

--------------------
user posted image

“One way to distinguish Conservatives from Liberals is that the former excuse the unethical inclinations of the wealthy whereas the latter excuse the unethical inclinations of the poor.”
Justin
Posted: May 12 2012, 07:42 PM

Advanced Member

The harness is a good idea. I had no idea of the power behind that wave. If it would have hit me head on, I'd of either landed flat in our dingy dragging behind us or end up in the water. As you say though, the stomach at times gets knotted up and the adrenaline starts to pump, but it's great fun.

--------------------
Pencils misspell words;

tamriel
Posted: May 13 2012, 05:48 PM

Advanced Member

I am pleased to report that we raised just over $3000 for maplegate. Many, MANY thanks to all who came out to support this great cause. Also to the businesses who generously donated items to our silent auction.

Big thanks to
The moose family centre - for donating the use of the hall, this put an extra $450 into the hands of maplegate.
Lyles no frills- for donating food for the barbecue.
Bill the mover - for removing unsold items and transporting them to another charity.
Hutchison Motorcycles - for donating a car detailing
choice tire- for donating car wash vouchers
The Shedden development corp. for donating two tickets to rock n roar
The spanish inn for donating gift certificates
Elliot Lake secondary school - for donating two firepits

There are many more to thank....I am always impressed with the generosity in Elliot Lake.

--------------------
Huh?
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0662 seconds | Archive