Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Community for Spikes & Baron Duel Monsters Comet. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Register FAQ Chat Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links

GAHDAMMIT!!!!!, Trying to use a router for 1st time.....
a-hole w/ 9000atk
  Posted: Apr 17 2012, 03:17 PM

A work in progress.......and progressing rather slowly.......

Group: Citizen of the Comet
Member No.: 973

....and I'm failing miserably at it.

Finally got the damn router I bought all hooked up, and it seemingly set up fine. My DSi even recognizes the damned thing, and shows the connection as good as it can get.

So, why the fuck can't I get online on the DSi with the frigging thing!?

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :penguin_8:

You guys have probably had more experience with these, so where the hell am I screwing up, here?
Ion
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 06:26 PM

さくら荘のペット

Group: Tyrant of the Comet
Member No.: 2

It's just the way DS work...

Even though DSi support WPA/WPA2 (which I believe, is the default setting on most new router), a bunch of software doesn't (especially older DS games...). The only choice is WEP, but we all know that WEP is insecure and can be hacked without much knowledge of hacking...
a-hole w/ 9000atk
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 12:19 AM

Uh, so what you're saying is..........I'm fucked.......?

AW, COME ON! There's gotta be some step I keep missing as to why, even though the DSi recognizes the router, won't lemme get on.

I think it's actually some step with the router configuration I'm missing, and not the DSi..........it's just that the damn instructions are a tad complicated. :penguin_17:

This post has been edited by a-hole w/ 9000atk on Apr 18 2012, 12:20 AM
Ion
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 05:21 PM

さくら荘のペット

Well, you can try setting your routing security to WEP and see what you get. If that doesn't work, set it to unprotected (i.e. no password) temporarily and see if that work...

If not, then something is wrong with the router. If it works, then it's just DSi not exactly able to do what it's suppose to do thanks to the way DS softwares are written...

P.S. What router are you using?
a-hole w/ 9000atk
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 11:18 PM

I set it to WEP to begin with, as Shinobi told me some time ago that WPA & older DS games don't mix. I was hoping to avoid turning the protection off, but I suppose it's worth a shot.

It's a D-Link router, btw.
Ion
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 05:01 AM

さくら荘のペット

Yeah...if it's WEP already, then I really don't know. Security setting is usually the #1 problem in terms of DS wireless connection...

And which D-Link router XD...DI-624? :penguin_11: :penguin_11: (Probably Wireless-N 300 since that's kind of your "middle of the road" router?)
SearchmanDS
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 08:55 AM

Shadow of the Now and Then

Group: Members of the Hangout
Member No.: 630

Simple solution is buy a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB adaptor. You can still get them off eBay and they aren't ovely expensive, get the software you need for it off Nintendo's site(I don't think there is a 7 version yet, but I haven't checked on that in awhile), and you're set.
a-hole w/ 9000atk
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 12:15 PM

Wireless N-150, actually.......

I'm wishing I'd tested this as soon as I'd bought it, in case I needed to take it back; unfortunately, the return date has long since passed..... :(

I still think I'm missing something, here. This is my first time trying to set up one of these things. And I'm not dealing with buying something on eBay if I can avoid it.

......Hm, something occurred to me: Do I need to add the DSi as a wireless client on the router?

This post has been edited by a-hole w/ 9000atk on Apr 19 2012, 02:10 PM
Ion
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 04:55 PM

さくら荘のペット

......Hm, something occurred to me: Do I need to add the DSi as a wireless client on the router?

It should be automatic...unless you're not using DHCP (It's enable by default usually...).

You can try a Static IP or something like that...not sure how it work with a DSi, though.
Shinobi Phoenix
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 03:58 PM

Don't you know? I AM... THE GOLEM KING!!!

Group: Nobles of the Comet
Member No.: 98

Ironically (and as I have stated as a reason for getting the better system), 3DS does not have this problem or at least my 3DS connected for me to get Mewtwo for my Pokemon White easily enough, I will try it with Dragon Quest IX at some point soon, but I remember not needing to set up the usual "settings for DS" as well as the normal 3DS settings. I don't even remember if 3DS shows that sort of option it just did it.

Plus because it has the built-in browser that you can suspend and use as needed (even when playing a game), it can connect to wifi that ask you to log in through a browser first (mostly public places do this).

Are you use $150 for a USED 3DS is too much money?
a-hole w/ 9000atk
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 07:00 PM

The stupid router is confusing the hell out of me......

At one point, the router had the DSi listed on.........something, and now it doesn't........GAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna see if the Office Depot guy can help figure this damn thing out for me, and if I can't......well, I'm fucked. :/

It'll be a little while before I go after a 3DS; I'm trying to deal with other stuff first. But, in the case I can't get any help with the router, that's certainly nice to know, if it really doesn't require the setup crap.
Ion
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 11:11 AM

さくら荘のペット

I know your pain...but then, personally I put custom open-source firmware into my router just so I don't have to deal with all those stupid "restriction" built into routers (I doubt it'll help with the situation, though...)

Of course, you can always get a Buffalo Technology router since they have AOSS...
a-hole w/ 9000atk
Posted: May 8 2012, 03:56 PM

FINALLY!!!!!! I GOT THE DAMN THING TO WORK!!!!!

Yes' I'm typing from the browser right now. :P

I still don't quite know what the entire deal was in the first place, but at this point, I'm not even going to question it; all I know is, in order to go on, I have to have the D-Link router page open on my comp in order to use it.

I'll test out my Pokemon Platinum out on it later.
a-hole w/ 9000atk
Posted: Nov 12 2012, 09:38 PM

Gahdammit.......

I tried to setup the connection on my 3DS........and I inadvertently screwed up my connection on the DSi, and now I can't get either to work with it - and I put the randomly-generated WEP key in both devices a gazillion times......

I WANTED MY GENESECTS........
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Contains New Posts  Forum Contains New Posts
Contains No New Posts  Forum Contains No New Posts
A Closed Forum  Forum is Closed for Posting