|· Rules and Regulations · Portal||Help Search Members Calendar|
|Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )||Resend Validation Email|
|Welcome to Community for Spikes & Baron Duel Monsters Comet. We hope you enjoy your visit.|
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:
Posted: Apr 26 2009, 10:19 PM
Group: Tyrant of the Comet
Member No.: 1
Joined: 12-November 05
I do not need much introduction to what this article is about. But for those who do not know, this article serves the purpose of me looking at text of cards, without much playtesting, and talk about it.
But wait, this is suppose to be a "first impression", right? Why I wrote this like a week or more after the set was released and people already play a bunch with it. Well, let me count: 2 papers, a presentation, x amount of homework, plus the FE Exam. No, they surely do not ask which cards from Ancient Prophecy does what.
But either way, here it is for those who are waiting (not that a lot of people are...looking at the diminishing traffic to my site). I will, as usual, just talk about the themes of the set, deck types, a list of usable cards, and of course, my favorite worst of the worst.
In addition, since it's almost 2 months since the last change in the list, I would give a short update on the metagame for those who really cares.
Card Trends and theme:
Like the last set, there is no specific themes that this set particularly focused on. Well, the single most number is the amount of anime cards, with 36 total out of 80 in this set (more than last set, which has 33).
As like last set, the "meat" of this set is the 5 Core-Chimair monsters, plus the 2 [Earthbound Immortal]. However, the other focus of the set is on Ruka's card, which she did not have any released before this set. Well, as said before, there are 36 of the anime cards total, so a lot of characters have few cards here and there released in the set. Another first in this set is the include of [X-Saber] and [Frembell] monsters/support, which originally only came in Duel Terminal. At last, there are actually Sea Dragons in the set...believe it or not.
Of course, there is the usual "Gladius" card in the set. Well, it's pretty obvious that is is [Falchion Beta].
Here are some of the new deck types that I think people could create after this set, competitive or not.
- Ruka character deck (Yes, this is really the only one I can think of)
For deck types that get boosts:
- Black Feather (although the BFs in this set is nowhere as good as the last set)
- Deformer (hey, more new cards!)
- Infernity Deck (if anyone tried?)
- Earthbound Immortal abuse (again, you hope you can get that Mausoleum)
- Core Chimail Theme (still not recommend...it is still slow)
- Sea Dragon/Fish/Water Attribute/Gaeru theme (I just have to say it)
- Psychic (look at the Lab, that card screams ridiculous everywhere, although not as good as one other card...)
- X-Saber/XX-Saber (I am wondering: how in the world the TCG would do with them unless they print all the X-Sabers in this 2 upcoming sets as reprint?)
- "Tribal" Deck (hey, another stupid card for them)
- Frembell-Fire (not sure one is built before...I never tried myself)
Well, not a long list, but oh well...
Well, as usual, I would write a list of cards that I think that can be considered to be play. Of course, sometimes this list gets a little long since a whole theme itself maybe good.
Here we go...anyway, as usual, in numerical order.
- Sunlight Unicorn (OK, I am setting the standard low from the beginning!)
- Black Feather - Vayu of Big Flag (I can kind of think of times this is useful...not much)
- Deformer Magnen I
- Jester Confit (EDIT: This is now second best...I changed my mind, I was first Spellcaster biased)
- Earthbound Immortal - Cusillu
- Earthbound Immortal - Chacu Challhua (both not as good as the 2 in last set, but still ridiculous)
- Core Chimail Crusader (hey, can save you from running out of monsters at turn 2 because of the stupid Steel Core)
- Scale Moth
- Fishborg Gunner (yes...there is OTK using this card with Coelacanth plus what else...Dark Dive Bomber...probably the best card in this set by far?)
- XX-Saver Faultroll
- Frembell Helldog
- Ancient Fairy Dragon (but there is zero "Cover Card Magic" on this card...it is pretty weak)
- Undead Skull Demon (screwed the 2 non-Tuners...the effect is still good)
- Ancient Holy Wyvern (reminds me of you using it with cards all the way back in....ehh....Sanctuary of Sky!)
- Advanced Draw (no idea if this is good...really!)
- Ancient Forest (hey, it's a stall card!)
- Future Vision (can just be all "wait...I do not remember to return my monster back")
- Hydropressure Cannon (at least it's an OK equipment)
- Brain Development Research Laboratory (see this video, thanks for SearchmanDS's link. Yes, it's an OTK, you did not watch it wrong)
- Saber Slash (it's a pretty good theme support)
- Explosion of True Flame (really, an explosion)
- Fossil Inverstigation (no idea why a Dino type support...Jurac monsters?)
- Dissonance Chord (does not Dissonance anyone to me...but whatever)
- Death Amulet (Uria deck wants this...if anything)
- Protection of Leviadragon God (Water weenie FTW?)
- Frembell Counter (decent support)
Now, of course, my choice of worst card in the set...and it is?
Battle Teleportation - I don't get why this card have to be so bad, but it is. OK, it's not like there is no positive from this card (unlike some previous cards that I chose...a.k.a. Magic Chronicle, but first there is the super limit (only monster on your field is that one monster), then afterward for some reason you have to give your monster to opponent. Ridiculously bad.
So this ends with my first impression of ANPR. Have fun playing with the cards, as usual. Next article? I'm planning on...ehh...I will see, hopefully a card article before the next set?
Thanks to shriek for posting a lot of decks plus some of my own observations...here is just some breakdown.
- Synchro Cat is good, REALLY good, as expected
- Black Feather's rise to fame. Not totally unexpected either. Although the tournament BF deck is not pure (duh)
- Lightlord and Light Beat (Honest beat?) is here again. Guess what? I'm 3 for 3!
- Others: There is Gladial Beast Synchro, there are some experiments with Diva (of Deep Sea) before that die down, there are occasional Plant Beat/Plant Synchro mix, and some other random decks here and there, as expected.
Overall, 2 months did not changed much. Synchro Cat is Synchro Cat after all we know. However, the latest Black Feathers is what makes Black Feather goes from nowhere to being in a lot of places. Of course, Zombie Carrier fever is not dead, but Teleport fever is. Well, otherwise, not much different metagame than before, and I just don't see much cards in this set that can jump in and make a big shift.
- Baron, 4/26/2009
|a-hole w/ 9000atk||
Posted: Apr 29 2009, 12:55 AM
A work in progress.......and progressing rather slowly.......
Group: Citizen of the Comet
Member No.: 973
Joined: 3-July 06
The mentioned link to the Brain Lab OTK video isn't appearing.......
Can I just get the gist of it? I'm planning to use it in my recent PsyPrime deck build, and having an OTK opportunity would be quite something.
Posted: Apr 29 2009, 05:40 AM
Shadow of the Now and Then
Group: Members of the Hangout
Member No.: 630
Joined: 25-March 06
I posted it in the media section originally.