Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Community for Spikes & Baron Duel Monsters Comet. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Register FAQ Chat Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links

Article #69: When Plant Deforms, CSOC first review (to be updated later!)
redbaronii
Posted: Jul 15 2008, 10:12 AM

Azu-nyan, MEEEOOOWWW!

Group: Tyrant of the Comet
Member No.: 1

Well, I will make the opening short this time. As like each time a new set was released, I will write an article on my first impression to the set. Well, as also in any June-July article I wrote, I will give a short update to the latest metagame.

Let's begin first by looking at the set.

Card Trends and Theme:
The main focus of this set is Plant type monster, which had not seen any useful new cards since...ehh, never. Also included in this set are the Deformers used by Rua, Takasu's Chain cards (not talking about those CDIP's "Chain" related cards), and of course, more Psychic supports and Synchros. At last, there are cards in continuation to support the latest Structure Deck, Undead World.

Deck Types:
With new cards comes new deck type.

- Deformer
- Chain monsters mill-burn

With some (or sometimes...a LOT) of updates:
- Plant type
- Psychic type
- "Undead World"
- Some burn strategy...
- Blue Eyes White Dragon (although it's one card...I know, just surprise there is actually a card related to BEWD!)

Useful cards:
- Mad Demon (it's mad...)
- Copy Plant
- Deformer Mobilephon (only in Deformer deck...duh)
- Deformer Radicassen
- Deformer Careman
- Deformer Radion
- Deformer Clocken
- Gadget Trailer/Gadget Driver
- Chain Repairer
- Chain Snake
- Psycho Jumper
- Weed
- Gigant Cephalotus
- Botanity Girl
- Cursed Fig
- Camellia Princess - Titanial
- Zombie Carrier
- Hane Wata
- Tiger Dragon
- Jade Knight
- Black Rose Dragon (duh...)
- Chain Dragon (and it's a Rare...)
- Psycho Health Trancer
- Hell Blamble
- Resurrection Devil - Ha Des
- Card Flipper (can be fun...)
- Seal of Rose (hey...it's a Theft after all)
- Black Garden (hard to use...but still good card, and amazing art!)
- Deformer Speed Unit
- Deformer Cord
- Posion Chain/Paralyze Chain (Chain monsters NEED this 2 cards badly!)
- Oldest Type Telekinesis (hey it's 1000 Life Cyclone/Earth Crush in one)
- Fragrance Storm (with luck)
- World Tree (slow...however)
- Village of Magical Tribe (can be annoying...to both players)
- Battle Mania
- Confusion Chaff (make opponent confused on what had happened)
- Psycho Trigger
- Pollinosis
- Plant Conection
- Contest at Lord's Presence

Of course, after putting down a long list of useful cards, here comes the time to put down the worst card (to my belief...right now...may not be later) in the set.

The choice?
Omega Glasses - This card is not exactly SUPPPPERR bad, but it's just seems to be useless. The cost of lacking a battle to just looking at a card in opponent's hand just does not match. That effect should really be free. If the Magic version of the effect is only 1 cost, I don't see why this effect needs a battle as the cost.

The rarity question mark? A lot of Super Rares does not deserved to be Super Rare in the set...but that is a common thing and SOMETHING have to be shiny!

Metagame:
The OCG metagame, right now, can be defined by 3 decks: Gladial Beast, Synchro-D.A.D., and Lightlord, with the power listed in that order.

Although in few Japanese tournament results we saw, Synchro D.A.D. (and variant) purely wins most of it, but I considered into the fact that the deck is by far the most played deck right now so seeing them wins is not a surprise.

The strategy to the deck is that there is just not much strategy. It combined the 2 best strategies in the game: Dark Armed Dragon, with the few powerful Synchros. The key card to the deck is [Rescue Cat], where one Rescue Cat can pulled out any choice of Level 6 Synchros one wanted.

The best thing about Synchro is that the level 6 ones are really powerful. Goyou Guardian caused a lot of havoc in early game, while in late game, Ice Barrier Dragon can clear any barrier opponent had set up and wins the game.

Why, then, mixed in the daddy? Well, the deck does NOT depend on playing DAD to win, but that card is simply number 1 card right now in the metagame (I will not count banned cards...it's not fair). Easy Summon + 3 destruction when out = g.g.

Anyway, Gladial Beast had been popping out to the metagame for a while. I do not really need to explain how the deck worked, but I would talk about why it just shoot up the roof.

It's really one card: Gladial Beast Kaiseris is a monster. Easy to summon, super good effect, good stats. Yes, the Japanese version lacked [Test Tiger], but it have the substitution of [Elemental Hero Prisma] which is just purely great in the deck...good game.

Well, Lightlord had not been the dominant deck in the game. The main reason is that although the deck is powerful, it is very easy to disrupt the deck and any combo-beatdown deck like this one will die if 2 important moves are stopped.

Other decks popping out? There ARE still Monarchs deck (although super few), Gadget just purely disappeared (as it just lacked the power). However, the theory behind a Gadget deck is not completely dead as there is now a deck called "Meta Beat" mainly used lockdown effect monsters like [Raiou], [Fossil Dyna], [Wanghu], and [Banisher of Radiance] to do the anti-meta effect.

Will Psychic and Undead (or Plant, for that matter) pop out to the metagame? We will have to wait and see.

- Baron, 7/15/2008
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Contains New Posts  Forum Contains New Posts
Contains No New Posts  Forum Contains No New Posts
A Closed Forum  Forum is Closed for Posting