InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Community for Spikes & Baron Duel Monsters Comet. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Register FAQ Chat Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links

Article #68: The Sixth Genesis, Baron's 2 cents on TDGS
redbaronii
Posted: Apr 24 2008, 09:52 PM

Azu-nyan, MEEEOOOWWW!

Group: Tyrant of the Comet
Member No.: 1

It's been a long while since we first saw Judai: from TLM on and for more than 3 years, him and his Hero is the face of the game.

Now that GX had end and 5Ds began, it's all a new beginning...of course, beginning of a whole new series also. Of course, although The Duelist Genesis is not even the first product (nor second) released for Series 6, it IS the first big set with 80 new cards of the new beginning.

Anyway, thanks to GONDORA and all the Singapore people that gives out info as early as possible, we get the full set again before the official release date. Of course, in this article, in the usual Baron's template of 6 cents on a set, I would go with theme, the "useful card list" that is never correct, some idea for deck types, and of course the who knows what's the number of the "Baron award of futility".

Card Trends and theme:
This set, as the first set of a new series, is based around 2 new things in general: Synchro and the 21st Type in Psychic. Synchro is not a new thing, we had seen it before in Starter Deck and Duel Terminal, but Psychic IS new. Well, I would see it as another new "theme" except that it will be more of this cards coming.

Other than that, there is some Spirit monster boost, some more Tuners and Synchro related cards, 1 each of Gladial Beast, "Dark" name, and Lightlord, plus the Yusei cards.

Deck Types:
Here are some of the new deck types that I think people could create after this set, competitive or not.
- Psychic Type
- Synchro theme/Yusei Deck wins
- Golem!!

For deck types that get boosts:
- Spirit
- Antique Gear/Batteryman/Gladial Beast/"Dark"/Lightlord (all not really)
- Fish!!
- Any deck using Discguy...
- I don't know...seriously don't.

Useful cards :
Well, if you read from the above list, you may have an idea already that this set is not as good as the last set. Of course, there are "hidden" gems here and there sometimes. So here is my usual 2 cents on which cards I think you should even look at and which would be a waste even at common.
- Bolt Hedgehog
- Big Piece Golem
- Dark Sprocketer
- Dark Resonator
- Jute Knight
- Mental Master
- Cabalist
- Clevonce
- Mental Protector
- Psycho Walld
- Destructor
- Gladial Beast Equite
- Mechausa
- Izanagi
- Yamato-no-Kami
- Star Dust Dragon
- Red Demon's Dragon
- Goyou Guardian
- Mental Sphere Demon
- Junk Attack (an OK equipment...not exactly "good")
- Psychic Impulse
- Emergency Teleport
- The Imperial Regalia of Japan (they are not truly amazing equipment, and they are boring to me)
- Gear Town (except really, you cannot special summon most monsters for the trigger effect)
- Evolving Mankind
- Angel Lift (CoTD #4)
- Synchron Reflect (not telling you to really use it unless you make sure you can have a Synchro out every 3rd turn)
- Psycho Charge
- Telekinetic Force (A Drain Shield + Explosive Armor at once, for Psychic)
- Browning Power (an "almost" Declaration!)
- Lightlord Barrier (not like Lightlord need barrier)
- Fishure Charge (best Fish support for...wait, it doesn't existed!)

After I type the list of the cards above, it's kind of time for me to choose a weak card in the set. Unlike some sets, really, I do not find a good candidate from this set. Every card seems to have its use and they are not particularly BAD. However, just have to choose one...so here we go. I mean, my choice may not be even as bad as some cards before...but oh well.

(Drumroll): Book of Total Solar Eclipse: No, the effect is not 100% useless. It's just that the drawback just looks stupid to me, sometimes you let opponent into too much advantage with you taking not much. If you want face-down opponent's stuff...[Sealing Swords of Darkness] is a better choice, but since this card is a Quickplay and it affect you field also...it may not be 100% terrible.

My second choice? Nitro Warrior...it's just that freaking card does NOT deserve close to "Super Rare" status. Could done better than that...

Anyway, have fun with the set. Psychic seems like fun thing to play around even if they lack the cards to make them a truly remarkable deck. Synchro is Synchro, you either love it, like it, or REALLY hate it. Since things are getting busier, my next article would probably be on Crossroads of Chaos. Until then...

- Baron, 4/21/2008
SynjoDeonecros
Posted: Apr 25 2008, 11:21 AM

Banished

Group: Comet Exiles
Member No.: 347

I have to disagree with you on Book of Eclipse; as stated on the main board, there's quite a few combos that can go along with it.

My vote would go to Dark Assassin; While not TOO terribly hard to get his second or third effect off in a DARK deck, except for Brachion, Book of Eclipse and Swords of Concealing Light, there isn't really any good cards for flipping the opponent's monsters face-down for its third effect to be that useful. Most players would choose instead to go with Norleras, Demise, or (especially when it comes out in the OCG) Darklord Zerato for DARK field-clearers.
redbaronii
Posted: Apr 26 2008, 10:24 AM

Azu-nyan, MEEEOOOWWW!

Synjo:
Well, it's just that Eclipse's drawback effect that I don't like...of course, one can always avoid it.

For this set it's hard to choose a "super bad" card. Dark Assassin is not completely useless (not a very good card). Just no "obvious" choice this time.

I will change the card choice once I think of which one is seriously bad. I mean, too much bad cards in this set does not help either (especially that all Spirit supports are kind of meh)
a-hole w/ 9000atk
Posted: Apr 26 2008, 10:51 AM

A work in progress.......and progressing rather slowly.......

Group: Citizen of the Comet
Member No.: 973

You think the new Spirit support is MEH? BIG disagreement there. Izanagi is WAY better than Settle Machine, the Equips are just like the Gladial Equips but with better effects (esp. for Asura), and having a Sp. Summonable Spirit for the 1st time ever is quite the asset in a tight spot. To me, they're HARDLY meh.
redbaronii
Posted: Apr 26 2008, 10:28 PM

Azu-nyan, MEEEOOOWWW!

a-hole:
My "meh" as in the effects are kind of boring. Piercing? Done it million times. Gain Life? Millions...Settle Machine IS a bad card, however.

Yes, I do like the two new "big" spirits...they are just nice cards with nice effects. But in the end, there is always the need of "common fillers".
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Contains New Posts  Forum Contains New Posts
Contains No New Posts  Forum Contains No New Posts
A Closed Forum  Forum is Closed for Posting