InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Community for Spikes & Baron Duel Monsters Comet. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Register FAQ Chat Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links

Article #66: Light after Dark, LODT 2 cents article
redbaronii
Posted: Feb 21 2008, 09:45 AM

Azu-nyan, MEEEOOOWWW!

Group: Tyrant of the Comet
Member No.: 1

Well, as my usual routine, once after a new set was released and all the text are confirmed and translated, it's time for me to write an article talking about my very first few cents on a new set. Of course, I would say my prediction and my useful card list had not been useful for a while. It's fine and all...I mean, I cannot predict what other people can think of using the same card pool anyway.

ANYWAY, once again thanks to GONDORA for his wonderful scans, and once again my article would go from the first look on theme, just 2 cents on the (not so useful) useful card list (on paper), then the deck types, and of course the traditional "Baron award of futility". No, I would not talk about the upcoming rule changes, I would save another article for that.

Card Trends and theme:
When there is Dark in this game, there will be Light. Since the main theme of last set focus on Dark monster, per Konami standard, they shift the focus of this set to Light. Well, of course, there are 28 Light cards compare to 21 Dark from last set. This is of course as result of the two main themes of the set both being Light Attribute: Saiou's Arcana Force monsters and the "fat" Lightlord monsters.

Otherwise, there are of course the standard random Hero support, some anime originals here and there, the counterpart of Yubel in Honest, plus some random (I DO mean random) [Psycho Shocker] support. As for old themes...there is 1 Dual, 3 Frog support, new Battery Man and supports, one more Goblin Team, another weird Alien, a Wight/Simurgh, a Cloudian (which is kind of a surprise), an Antique Gear fusion, plus a Gladial Beast. The "kuso" card of the set is no longer a Trap, but YET another card that works with the forever Golden Bamboo Sword.

Now it's time for discussion of deck types.

Deck Types:
Here are some of the new deck types that I think people could create after this set, competitive or not.
- Lightlord (YES, it's playable, but maybe not a competitive deck, however. Can someone surprise me? Of course...if they want to, however, as theme decks are not the best in terms of going into tournament and win...outside of GKs and Six Hamsters. But hey, they can always be splashed)
- Arcana Force/Coin Flip (well, one can splash Arcana Force into their deck, but one can REALLY focus on the monsters, built a Saiou deck, but may not have the luck of the flip like Saiou)
- Tinzo deck wins (no way...just not enough cards)

For deck types that get boosts:
- Light beatdown/Angel Permission variant/Angel beatdown/whatever
- Elemental Hero (I just have to put them on here...HEY, they DO get new supports!)
- Destiny Hero (Hey, they also get some cards, but it's up to you to decide if you would even want to put those cards into your deck)
- Frog
- Battery Man/Thunder Type
- Diskguy/Destiny-LnDD (a.k.a. Disk LiDa), you just HAVE to put the namesake card in your deck!
- Fire Princess burn
- Wight
- Bird (maybe?)
- Cloudian
- Gladial Beast
- Antique Gear
- Gem Beast (????)

Useful cards :
Obviously, we would now look at the useful (not necessary GREAT!!) cards that I believe could be consider to add to deck (no matter theme or every decks...). It goes down from the cardlist. As for the Arcana Force monsters...I mean, all of them are good if you get the positive effect, I rated them depending on how useful their effect are.
- Honest
- Arcana Force I - THE MAGICIAN
- Arcana Force IV - THE EMPEROR
- Arcana Force VII - THE CHARIOT
- Arcana Force XIV - TEMPERANCE
- Arcana Force XXI - THE WORLD
- Arcana Force EX - THE DARK RULER
- Lightlord Paladin - Jane
- Lightlord Magician - Laila (well...it's not fast card...but it's not TERRIBLE)
- Lightlord Warrior - Garos
- Lightlord Summoner - Luminous (if this survive, that is)
- Lightlord Hunter - Raiku
- Lightlord Angel - Cerubim
- Judgment Dragon
- Dark Valkyria (just for her art)
- Irekaeru (just sacrifice "THE Frog")
- Charged Battery Man
- Battery Man - Industrial Use/Button Type (they are not super good...but maybe needed)
- Mistress Wight
- Ancient Divine Bird Simurgh (for his size)
- Dragoon D-END
- Antique Gear Ultimate Golem
- Gladial Beast - Kaiseris (seriously good)
- Boundary of Light
- Solar Exchange
- Short Circuit
- Limit Reverse (cough cough Venominon, cough cough Yubel) (the 1st [Living Dead] in the set)
- Illusion of Shining Light (the 2nd [Living Dead] in the set)
- Frog Barrier
- Travel Type Battery (the 3rd [Living Dead] in the set)

Of course, for the above list, there may be some that I missed. There are just some cards that are NOT good...NOT very good. However, "not good" card is nothing compared to the "Baron's award of futility". And the winner is....

(Drumroll): Magic Gear: There are good supports, there are situational yet very good when pulled off type of supports, there are situational and not very useful supports, but this falls into the worse "useLESS" support. It's not the main effect of this card have any problem (since it special summoned a 3000/3000 Trampler that you cannot chain into during Battle Phase), it's just that the cost? 3 [Antique Gear] monsters on your field (hard enough already). After the special summon? Destroy your other monsters (if there is anything left). The worse? WHY they would make you unable to Normal Summon the next 2 turns? Isn't Antique Gear the same theme where most of its stuff cannot be special summoned?

Anyway, have fun playing with this set (before everyone just don't care about this set a month from now...watch it will happen but it's not a surprise either) for those players left to play the game after many people whining (as usual) about quitting the game because of [Monster Reborn] (I found out I have 3 Japanese Structure common plus a "bad condition" SDY one). I will write another article talking about my 5 cents on the new rule and Synchro monsters once the Starter Deck is released.

- Baron, 2/20/2008
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Contains New Posts  Forum Contains New Posts
Contains No New Posts  Forum Contains No New Posts
A Closed Forum  Forum is Closed for Posting