Skin created by Kman. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Forum Rules IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

On August 20 2009, Brainstock moved to a new board. What you are currently looking at is only an archive of old threads - everything is now taking place in the new forums.

Please switch to the new board now: http://s1.zetaboards.com/brainstock/

The reasons for this move were several unfixable issues with the old board. Examples are broken styles, missing features like a "find all posts by this member", no search feature, the lack of root access. No admins had access to the admin logs, for instance.

By moving, these and several other issues have been fixed, the forums had been improved. The admins now have root access and therefore unremovable logs to improve admin accountability, and we're now using ZetaBoards instead of InvisionFree, which offers a regularly updated software and lots of new features.

If you are seeing this message for the first time and are not here to look at archived threads, this is what you need to do: First, register on the new board. Then, if you had been registered on the old board and if you are part of a group or had any special access privileges, make sure to request your previous permissions here.

Should you encounter any links pointing to the old board (archive), please try to update them. Thank you for your help!

The Apocalypse
james bodkin
Posted: May 23 2009, 04:43 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,654

Lets just imagine ourselves in a situation that begins like any other day.
You log in and find the barricades on your safe house are gone and the only thing between you and the hordes of the undead is just a pair of flimsy doors. You decide to run into an adjacent building but then you realize all surrounding structures have been ruined, now your a little worried. You quickly open a new tab on your browser and look at the wiki map, then the terror hits you as you see the Rows upon rows of red without a suburb that is any other color in sight. Clearly the days of any survivors in malton are limited.

Now with this picture in you mind what would you do.

--------------------
bigdaddy2
Posted: May 23 2009, 04:52 PM

Ultra Member

Group: DEM Ally
Member No.: 3,761

Put up one level of cades as more of a joke than anything else, then leave my building and walk to somewhere safer.

Or if you mean the unlikely game breaking scenario going on here, then I wait for divine intervention.

--------------------
user posted image
labine50
Posted: May 23 2009, 05:15 PM

Über Member

Group: MEMS Command
Member No.: 1,110

Around the start of last year me and some other people loaded up a NT Tech with needles and idled out somehwere safe. The idea is that in the unlikely event that what you describe happens, we can all just log in and rebuild the city using DIRTNAP on a large scale.

Mind you, I don't know just how many of those people are still around, but it's better than nothing.

--------------------
UP Profile
MEMS #702
GMT -6
user posted image
user posted image

From my perspective, you get up every day and you get out there and you make your case, and you reach as many people as possible. That's what I intend to do. - Hillary Clinton, American Politician.
Turkmenbashi
Posted: May 23 2009, 10:14 PM

Whopping Member

Group: Brainstalkers
Member No.: 5,408

PK James Bodkin for the lulz.

--------------------
user posted image
bigdaddy2
Posted: May 24 2009, 12:38 AM

Ultra Member

QUOTE (Turkmenbashi @ May 23 2009, 08:14 PM)

user posted image

On a serious note: Labine, those tactics work both ways. If a group of 200 zombies (face it, we've seen much more at a time, 200 is rather doable) move in to a destroyed suburb that they know the survivors will try to take back, they can just sit there for 5 days until they idle out. Maybe make new characters to do stuff in other parts of the city so they don't get too bored.

Flash forward a couple months. Suburb X is now filled with survivors, not a zombie in sight, you can sleep on the streets for days at a time and not even be injured. All those zombies suddenly log back in and appear inside the buildings, behind the barricades. Not only can that suburb be taken down in a split second, but if they play it smart the zombies can ruin all the buildings without touching the barricades, leaving the city pretty much inaccessible to anyone.

--------------------
user posted image
Turkmenbashi
Posted: May 24 2009, 02:13 AM

Whopping Member

QUOTE (bigdaddy2 @ May 24 2009, 12:38 AM)
Flash forward a couple months. Suburb X is now filled with survivors, not a zombie in sight, you can sleep on the streets for days at a time and not even be injured. All those zombies suddenly log back in and appear inside the buildings, behind the barricades. Not only can that suburb be taken down in a split second, but if they play it smart the zombies can ruin all the buildings without touching the barricades, leaving the city pretty much inaccessible to anyone.

Yeah but why bother? There's no point preparing idled zombies as an insurance policy, because there's no way to stop people playing zombies.

--------------------
user posted image
Goofy McCoy
Posted: May 24 2009, 07:50 AM

It's Goofy Time!

Group: MFD Officer
Member No.: 5,053

QUOTE (Turkmenbashi @ May 24 2009, 12:13 AM)
Yeah but why bother? There's no point preparing idled zombies as an insurance policy, because there's no way to stop people playing zombies.

user posted image

--------------------
BALANCE OF POWER - Cold War Roleplaying Game
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Desmond Styles, on GOOFY TIME:
[02:05] <GoofyMcCoy> Well, I'm gonna go hit the beach.
[02:05] *Desmond is now known as The_Beach
[02:06] <The_Beach> NO DADDY, NO!
thekooks
Posted: May 24 2009, 09:38 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,663

Hide in a ruined building.

--------------------
Turkmenbashi
Posted: May 24 2009, 11:07 AM

Whopping Member

I can't see the lulz of zombie sleepers being any greater than the lulz of pinataing a bunch of buildings by parachuting in.

Which incidentally is something Red Rum hasn't done in far, far too long.

--------------------
user posted image
labine50
Posted: May 24 2009, 11:14 AM

Über Member

Group: MEMS Command
Member No.: 1,110

QUOTE (bigdaddy2 @ May 23 2009, 11:38 PM)
On a serious note: Labine, those tactics work both ways. If a group of 200 zombies (face it, we've seen much more at a time, 200 is rather doable) move in to a destroyed suburb that they know the survivors will try to take back, they can just sit there for 5 days until they idle out. Maybe make new characters to do stuff in other parts of the city so they don't get too bored.

The DEM did some testing a while back. Zombies and dead bodies get booted out of buildings they idle in, whether it gets repaired or stays ruined. There's a good month of testing behind that, so yes, I'm sure.

--------------------
UP Profile
MEMS #702
GMT -6
user posted image
user posted image

From my perspective, you get up every day and you get out there and you make your case, and you reach as many people as possible. That's what I intend to do. - Hillary Clinton, American Politician.
bigdaddy2
Posted: May 24 2009, 11:46 AM

Ultra Member

QUOTE (labine50 @ May 24 2009, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (bigdaddy2 @ May 23 2009, 11:38 PM)

The DEM did some testing a while back. Zombies and dead bodies get booted out of buildings they idle in, whether it gets repaired or stays ruined. There's a good month of testing behind that, so yes, I'm sure.

Heh, dang.

Scratch everything I posted other than that image then...

--------------------
user posted image
james bodkin
Posted: May 24 2009, 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Turkmenbashi @ May 23 2009, 10:14 PM)

sad.gif

--------------------
Revenant
Posted: May 25 2009, 10:56 AM

The Red Raconteur

Group: PK Mods
Member No.: 4,592

I could play this very scenario within days if I wanted to unidle my Monroevillain... and there are still survivors there undergoing a similar situation right now. No revives there, either.

My other survivor there died because I went 5 days without internet. I'm debating whether to unidle him or not... maybe when the number of living survivors drops low enough. wink.gif

See also Turk's response.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image
user posted image
Did I mention Duke is quite possibly the coolest PKer ever? (Thanks for the scone by the way! biggrin.gif) —Dr. Wolf

Malkavian Elder said "I've never disobeyed a drunken pirate with a skeleton mask before, and I won't start now!"

So speaks Inquisitor Revenant! Hear Him, and Tremble! –Fatherthompson
james bodkin
Posted: Aug 19 2009, 11:03 PM

QUOTE (Revenant @ May 25 2009, 10:56 AM)
I could play this very scenario within days if I wanted to unidle my Monroevillain... and there are still survivors there undergoing a similar situation right now. No revives there, either.

My other survivor there died because I went 5 days without internet. I'm debating whether to unidle him or not... maybe when the number of living survivors drops low enough. wink.gif

See also Turk's response.

I,m so jealous of you i was out on the road when the city opened up so i have no characters in there. sad.gif

--------------------
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0326 seconds · Archive