Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Dear guests. If you want to activate your forum membership, you need to send the email you've registered with to limbonino@gmail.com.

With the recent spike in bot registrations, and the forum being too outdated for security upgrades, we've made it so registrations need to be admin approved. So to prove you're not a bot, send an email to limbonino@gmail.com after you've registered a forum account. Thanks.

Name:   Password:

Commissions, I have no clue what the hell I'm doing
Necro_EX
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 06:39 AM

Elite Regular

Group: NPI: Assassin
Member No.: 69

Alright, so I know a good deal of you do commissioned artwork and I finally think I'm at a point where I can take money in good conscience for my artwork. I mean...I still have absolute tons of room for improvement, but that's not really the point of this post.

Basically, I just need a couple tips for how to go about this whole business. What are some policies and limits I should make sure to put up front, what sorts of things should I expect out of this, what are some good ways to advertise that I'm doing commissions other than just putting up a journal on dA, and prices.

Prices.

Dear gawd, the prices. I have absolutely no idea how much to charge. I've poked around dA a little bit, but I can't seem to find a consistent price range and it's kind of hard to sort those journal entries and such out by artistic skill of the poster and then compare myself to them, then there's prices fluxing with image content, and just...I have no clue what I'm doing there.

What I have so far:

Sketches at 5-10 USD
Lineart at 10-20 USD
Busts/single character shots at 20
Full scenes and such at 40
Explicit content tacking on anywhere from 5-20 USD

So...is this a good price range for me or what? I don't know if I'm charging too much, not enough...what? I mean...I know someone who starts at 100, but she's crazy-good and it's her main source of income...then I know someone else, of fairly similar skill to my own, who's charging a bit more than I am currently.

Just...I have absolutely no idea here and I know a good deal of you are.
Help me, pl0x. :3

--------------------
Are we far enough down the rabbit hole, yet?
LadyAkuma
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 03:28 PM

Regular

Group: OSP: Knight
Member No.: 17

I've never done well with getting online commissions but as far as pricing, determine how much time you spend on a drawing and how much you would want to be compensated for that time.
Nyx
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 02:37 AM

Group: SOTA: Diablos
Member No.: 188

While pricing your pieces the one thing you have to remember is to never sell yourself short.

When I first started there were times when I got impatient at the lack of response and lowered my prices 'till it was a steal, next thing I know people came flooding in with ridiculous requests and I ended up giving away more than I can take.

So don't be disheartened if things don't kick off the way you expect, patience (and hard work) is a virtue.

Unfortunately there's no concrete benchmark in regards to prices for commissions, but at a glance I can safely say that in terms of pricing you're okay.

I guess if it helps, for reference sake, here's my commission page:

Payment:

- Paypal (all prices in USD)

Sketches:

Waist-Up

- $10 (+$5 for each additional character)

Full Body

- $15 (+$10 for each additional character)

Full CG

Waist-Up

- $20 (+$15 for each additional character)

Full Body

- $30 (+$25 for each additional character)

* Due to time constraints, I can only accept a maximum of 4 characters per commission.

* If you wish, I can ship the original sketch to you provided that you pay the shipping & handling fees.

* I reserve the right to decline any requests if I feel like I'm not capable of providing a satisfactory piece or if the request itself makes me feel uncomfortable.

* You can contact me at: 1****e@gmail.com for any inquiries.

etc etc, that's the gist of it.

Another thing I almost forgot to mention is that it's incredibly helpful if you provide a little link showing your stuff. Like a couple of pictures of what your 'Sketches' in particular look like for example, it gives potential commissioners a fair idea of your capability and more importantly, what they should expect for what they've paid.

And regarding ways to spread the word, there's no easy fool-proof way of doing that other than actually start building up a healthy gallery/portfolio and get a decent following, dA's already a 'good' start if you're keen in kicking things off early, being the festering hub it is.

I personally use tumblr since it's flexible and, well, it's just overall a much nicer place than every other sites I've tried to settle in.

A great place to make easy money is FurAffinity, easily the most I've made proportionate to the amount of time I've spent there. I don't have an account there anymore, since drawing anthro for money is the closest thing to prostitution I've ever done.

Oh and I've got a friend who literally specializes in doing nothing but pony commissions and is apparently doing pretty well, *shrug*. Haven't bothered checking to see if that's true.

I'll edit this post/reply to this thread when I remember more shit.

--------------------
Necro_EX
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 05:52 AM

Elite Regular

Heh, I was actually kind of considering paying FA a visit, since it seems like the easiest place to make some money but I'm honestly not sure I could handle that place. :p

So, I'm at a reasonable price range. That's good. I was real worried my prices might scare people off or something. I've never done this before and I've definitely never commissioned anyone before or even purchased a print, so I was kind of just taking a shot in the dark there.

Also, I wouldn't mind checking out this friend's dA or something. :3

EDIT: Also, any tips on getting more exposure? I'm sitting on like...42 watchers, I believe. I know I need to just upload more stuff to my dA and try to keep some good, quality stuff coming out, but unless I get on EQD's drawfriends again I don't think I'm going to see any more spikes in watches.

I've been making sure to submit stuff to groups though, that seems to really bring in favorites and comments at least.

I just kinda feel like I'm missing something here. :huh:

EDITEDIT:

Oh, here's a link to the journal. Just in case there's something I'm doing horribad that I failed to mention.

--------------------
Nyx
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 06:23 AM

Group: SOTA: Diablos
Member No.: 188

The people on FA are, for the most part, incredibly nice and are an awesome intelligent bunch, but overtime I just got sick of it.

Not a fan of the furry fandom at all and the fact that a good number of them are really in your face about their... hobby just straight up put me off of that shit forever. Plus some are just fucking weird.

QUOTE (Necro_EX @ Apr 20 2012, 05:52 AM)
Also, any tips on getting more exposure?

Like I said there's no fool-proof way of getting more exposure other than to just keep at it.

The reality is that if you work hard and are good at what you do, and speak to the right audience, then there's no reason for people to not like your stuff. And when they like your stuff, word just naturally goes around. You don't just get to that stage overnight.

And don't get too hung up about watchers and numbers, we do this because we love it.

--------------------
Necro_EX
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 07:33 AM

Elite Regular

QUOTE (Nyx @ Apr 20 2012, 06:23 AM)
And don't get too hung up about watchers and numbers, we do this because we love it.

Yeah, that's definitely true, I guess I should worry less. Confidence has been all over the place lately, though. I'll be way too ecstatic one day and depressed the next about that sort of thing. :S

Doesn't help that this kid I've been kind of...not really mentoring or teaching outright, but kind of helping along has shot way past me. Guess I'll just keep at it and let it flow in naturally.

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0741 seconds | Archive